• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to remove an LED from case and Replace,Possible ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewOCerman85

Registered
Im not 100% sure where this post should go,so I am putting it in here.

I have a Red LED from an old computer,The first one I built actually,lol.I want to remove the Yellow LED from my Thermaltake Xaser 2 5000A case and replace it with this Red LED that I have from the old computer.I've been wanting to do this from day one actually,since I built my new computer.Because I think it would look nicer than the yellow one in my new case.I don't want to replace the blue Power LED,Just the Yellow HDD LED.
<edit>
darn,I just took the front off my case and examined the Yellow LED,Its small,alot smaller than the Red LED I wanted to put in its place.It also Has what I believe to be hot glue practically all around it,so that will complicate removal.I am open to any suggestions or Ideas any of you may have :)

Hey there and welcome to the forums :)

The hot glue comes off pretty easy using a hair-drier.. just be patient and keep the hair-drier on distance..

As for the LEDs, I'm able to find several different sizes with my local modshop... I'd say, remove the one you wanna remove, by heating the glue, and then take it to the shop and compare them.

Cheers, Flix

Thank You for the welcome,

Also,For the very good Ideas as well :)

I will do all that and get back to you all with my progress,When im done,I will take pics too :)

<update>

I got it installed,I think the one I took out was 3mm LED,The one I have Installed now is a 5MM LED.I had to make the hole bigger,So it would fit.I took my knive out and Cut into the case and made the hole bigger.It fits perfect now :).I have a Red LED in my computer now instead of the yellow one that came with my case originally :)The glue around the old LED was quite easy to remove,They only put it around the outside of the LED,So I was able to scrape it off with my fingernails pretty much.The plastic on my case didnt get like getting cut into much either,it turned gray,I have a black case so this was noticeable,So I took a small permanent marker and colored over the gray.

Last edited:
Back