• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LCD 60hz refresh rate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc_newbee

Hi,

I have a sapphire 9500np and a NEC 1760NX-white monitor. I have them both connected using a DVI-D cable. I understand that LCD work better in 60hz refresh rate or the refresh doesn't really matter in LCD. While playing game, I see the picture is flickering while walking along the wall or building or looking downward.

Is there a way to work around this or is this something to do with video card setting? I even try setting the refresh rate to 75hz and it still does the flickering stuff in game.

The game I try playing is Counter Strike 1.5, playing with pod bot 2.5v.

Any input on this is highly appreciated.

Turn on V-sync.

Is it tearing or flickering? There's a difference. One is severe hardware related, the other is just from the video card nd the monitor not syncing frames.

Thanks for the reply.

When the v-sync enable, I don't see it anymore in 3dmark01(especially on the light pole in the car chase). But, I still see it in the game I'd play. When v-sync enable I looses fps tremendeously in 3dmark01(car chase from 200 or more down to 70, can't remember but something like that).

How can I tell the difference from tearing and flickering? my situation is like in 3dmark01 in the car chase instead of the light pole being straight it moves like up and down or maybe left or right something like that and in game when looking down the ground is like flickering like the pole in car chase. It happen especially when I'm walking near a wall or building or some object. Correct me if I'm wrong about it being flicker.

On some game after playing around with the setting, it goes away but not on Counter strike 1.5 w/podbot 2.5. What you think I should adjust next. Last night I try many different setting in the control panel and still no luck in gettting rid of it totally in Counter Strike.

edit: I also see the light pole flickering stuff in car chase on my friend bba 9800pro when I run 3dmark01 using my monitor. So I'm not sure if it's the monitor or some setting within the video card. But, like I said some game goes away(So it look like to be the setting in video card).

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Welcome to LCD's! :) Mine does it too and I wasnt able to do anything about it. I used to play EQ and when I had levitate on the floating would cause the same effect on the landscape. You get used to it

No but on some of the game before messing around with the setting happen the same thing(the flicker stuff)but, after messing with the setting in CP in some game it went away. So it's weird if that coming from the LCD.

V-sync is when it syncs your video's output to the refresh rate of the monitor. You'll usually get 60FPS; But it will be smooth.

Tearing is when the video dard displays more frames than the monitor can output so the image actually "tears". Say in counterstrike, if you were to spin rapidly, you would actually see chops and chops of the screen. Boxes would look as if the bottom half was seperated from the top half, for example.

Another phenomenon is "Banding". Where flickering stripes continually move up or down. Much like you would see when you watch the news and the monitors in the background would have lines moving up and down.

Now, the games you enabled V-sync in. The ones that work are all DX-based games, yeah? You might need refresh lock for OpenGL games to get v-sync.

Thanks Hotkoala,
Actually the game that uses OpenGL, while enabling the v-sync it looks great without any tear or anything like that.

But, it the other way around for directX based game. When I set the video game mode for CS on direct3D and no matter if v-sync is enable, it still does the tearing and stuff. So I dont know if there something left for me to set for directx game. I have directx 9.0b install onto my system.

So right now I'm playing CS with the video mode on OpenGL rather than direct3D and it looks much better with no tearing or anything like that.

Thanks again for all of yah help.

Back