• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bfg fx5900- for real or crippled version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flapperhead

Just saw a bunch of bfg fx5900's for u under 200 bux on pricewatch. are they the real thing(256 interface)? or are they some crapply 128 lite version. i checked on bfg's site but couldnt find any info. they only offer 1 kind of 5900, but im kinda suspicious. has anyone bought one? thnx flapper

AFAIK, there is no 128-bit 5900 (yet). Even the 5900 XTs are 256-bit. I think I've seen that particular 5900 you're talking about. The description has no mention of "SE" and no memory clock specifications either but since BFG only offers one version of the 5900, it's most likely the standard 5900.

Current 5900's:

1. All run 400mhz GPU w/ 256bit memory interface

2. XT versions use slower 2.8ns RAM but w/ more aggressive timings

3. 700mhz RAM indicates 2.8ns RAM

4. 800mhz RAM indicates 2.2ns RAM

The 5900 is a kick-butt product in the under $200 range (IMHO it's Nvidia's only "great product" at the moment) as most 2.2ns cards will do ultra speeds of 450/900.

It appears to be a normal version...mine clocks fairly decently.

Stock cooling/no vmods/no 5950 BIOS (yet):
458 core
958 memory

I know I can push the memory over 1ghz, but after a few loops, things start artifacting pretty badly. The core doesn't get very high though. I'm just hoping thats because of the fairly weak stock cooling this card has. It appears to only have copper fins above the memory modules, and the HS BARELY touches both the memory and core. With a better cooler, this could be quite a nice card.

even thought i have the 5900se from evga, i can hit 475/800 but not stable.. so i am still kinda tweaking to find out what is causing artifacts... already replaced my white goop with as3 for the gpu HS.

but i think i might beable to get higher if i work on it...

My evga 5900se does can do 450/800. But cant run both speeds at the same time due to power problems.

looks like the bfg is the way to go. they sell them starting at 175.00 clocked at 400 and 850. i read a couple reviews and even the evga is competing with the 9700 pro's especially when overclocked. i dont know why the're selling a premium card so cheaply but its looks to be a steal for the performace it produces

Just got this card from gameve.com, kinda dissappointed. I played the microsoft trailer( http://hdshowcase.microsoft.com/trailers/coralreef/Coralreef_1080p.exe), no improvement over my old ati rage128 pro, only got ~2fps(media player->view->statistics->advanced). Only thing better is that letters on my LCD look much more crispy via DVI connector.

UPC code on the box has been removed. I guess BFG offered rebate on this product to some resellers so they can sell it cheaper.

Last edited:
hey guy no offense, but your rage pro compared to any 5900 is like comparing a biplane to an f-16. how about some framerates on any games u might have?

Just loaded the Leadtek 5950 BIOS onto my BFG5900 tonight.

Previous BIOS OC autodetect:
468mhz core
938mhz memory

New BIOS OC autodetect:
527mhz core
1150mhz memory

:eek:

Updates to come.

3DMark2001:

Score...decreased? New score: 17,080

Oddly though, increasing the core/memory speed resulted in the EXACT same score. I'm going to re-bench it now.

again, 175.00 for for a non pipeline crippled 5900 is gotta be the best deal out right now. the 9800 np is about 250-260.

ar7786 said:
Just got this card from gameve.com, kinda dissappointed. I played the microsoft trailer( http://hdshowcase.microsoft.com/trailers/coralreef/Coralreef_1080p.exe), no improvement over my old ati rage128 pro, only got ~2fps(media player->view->statistics->advanced). Only thing better is that letters on my LCD look much more crispy via DVI connector.

UPC code on the box has been removed. I guess BFG offered rebate on this product to some resellers so they can sell it cheaper.

So how hard did you have to push to get the 5900 in your ISA slot?

And while i'm at it----

"·2.80Ghz Prescott
·Intel Grantsdale-GV
·512MB PC2-4300
·(256MB video)
·74GB WD Raptor"

Hey blurry I love that prescott in your sig there bud,nice.

3DMark03 Score update:

490 core/978 memory - 6438 points

This was with 53.03 detonator drivers. Going to install 44.03 tomorrow and see how high I can get 2k1 and 2k3.

Powerstrip3.47 tells me my BFG FX5900 engine 300MHz, Mem 850MHz, WTF??? Temp 47c already.

Back