• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stability problems......HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H@rdc0re

Registered
Hi there ,

I have run into some problems with my CPU , after I had it running at 1002 mhz , it was getting a tad hot (47c) so I thought ok i'll put a better heatsink/fan combo on it, well I modified the retail jobby to fit a 80mm fan to the top of it with a funnel style adaptor to channel the wind straight to the entire heatsink , but I think the heatsink is just too crappy cause the temperature stayed the same, my problem is this , I have now put the old gorb back on and now I cant even get it to run at 960 with any stability at all , it boots up and runs for about 10 mins then locks up ! :(

I have a feeling it was the changing of the heatsinks that did it but im not sure .

Is there any simple solution to try and get my stability back???

yeah sorry , I use the standard white thermal paste , always used it and havent had any probs so far.....untill NOW !!!! grrrr
I have some arctic silver II coming so I am gonna put that on when I install the WBK.
any suggestions on how I get my stability back??

Get things alot cooler might do it by itself.
Getting things cooler and raising the vcore .05 volts should get it back.

personly I would ditch the orb and get a better HSF set up you will be much happier and your CPU much cooler. Also 47C is not a tad hot that is screaming hot for a Intel CPU if i were you I would shoot for under 35C. Do you have good case cooling? and as Placid said raising CV a little will regain stability but not at the temps you are now you could fry your CPU. Remember overclocked chips cant take the heat the way a non overclocked chip can so if you want great stability get temps down below 30C cooler is always better. If your strapper for cash consider adding a duct to your HSF going to your sidecase so that you can draw in cooler air straight to your HSF. Also if 47C is your temp at idle [not gaming or Seti] then your really asking for problems.

Also, if you've raised your FSB a lot, you may try lowering it a bit. Some peripherals can't work very well at high speeds and may cause problems

Back