• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo! Successful BIOS flash!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theflyingrat

On Saturday I successfuly flashed my Albatron FX5900 non-Ultra (400/850 def.) into an FX5950 Ultra. Beautiful. It works like a charm. My old stable-all-day overclock before was 450/950, maybe a little higher on one or the other. Now, it defults at 475/950 and overclocks 100% stably all day (I gamed on it for hours straight yesterday just to check...) up to 490/985.

I'm really curious, though, how much the core and memory voltage of the FX gets changed along with these BIOS flashes. I can get a multimeter; what points on the card are you able to measure power to the core and memory from? Anyone have a diagram for it? I want to find out what the differences are between my old BIOS's default and the FX5950 Ultra's voltages.

i'm curious about the voltage changes if any with the 5950 bios as well, keep hearing speculation and rumors that it does, but yet to see any hard facts saying if it does or not, and if so by how much, if it doesn't i'll probably flash my card to push it a little higher, but unless it does actualy up the voltage flashing wouldn't do anything for me really.

tried flashing just to see what I could get, was able to push my O/C from 570/1002 to 585/1020, however my 3Dmark03 score droped from 7882 to 7671.

if you were to have a unsucessful flash, is there a way to potentially replace the bad flash? pci card option or whatever, any ideas plz

yeah, before you flash you just use the utility to backup your old bios, that way if you have any problems you can just just re-flash back to that one.

shiltz said:
tried flashing just to see what I could get, was able to push my O/C from 570/1002 to 585/1020, however my 3Dmark03 score droped from 7882 to 7671.

wow... nice oc 585/1020. Is this with vmod and water cooling??

sorry to ask.

the GPU is water cooled, the ram is still using the reference heatsinks but with a the 120mm fan from my radiator blowing air over them, no Vmod on the card.

flashed it back to the 5900U bios, O/C is down 3dmark03 score back up again, think it screwed up my card some though, can only O/C the memory to 998 now instead of 1002 and i'm getting artifacts at that speed, didn't get any before.

Last edited:
Being that I also have an Albatron 5900, I find your results interesting. I take it you have the FX5900PV, I have the cheaper FX5900EPV version. The only difference is that the EPV have 2.5ns Hynix memory chips where your card has the more-common 2.2ns versions. My card's default is 405/810MHz (yes, it's an oddball.)

The interesting part is the results. My card runs reliably at 475/950 (I even benched at 995 successfully) on the stock bios, and improves to 520/995MHz with the 5950 bios. At that speed it turns 7100+ 3DM03 with nothing more than my 1.8a to propel it. I like the card, it is high quality, the drivers work, and I use the video in to cature television broadcasts to the hard drive.

I guess the point would be luck is a %(!@#. I've had 2.2ns 5900s that didn't clock as well. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

An o, if you poke around the xtremesystems.org volt mod forum you can in all likelyhood find out where to probe the card.

Back