• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing does FX-83xx seem to flat line after 4.3GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Mandrake
My FX8320 needed ~1,47V to run at ~4.5GHz and was generally worse than FX8120. I haven't seen any difference at the same clock between these both CPUs ( performance or generated heat ) and to be honest I was disappointed. I sold all my AMD stuff some days ago as I had quite good deal.

Can't wait for the "trying to get 5.5" stable post like the ol 4.5 955 one. :)

LOL I was folloing a post in the intel forms about someone trying to get 5.5 on there 3770K

There was atleast 10posts of ppl telling him to calm down or try diffent things and he pretty much ignored everyone and fried his chip lol. Dont know why I felt like sharing this, I just got a kick out of it ;)

LOL I was folloing a post in the intel forms about someone trying to get 5.5 on there 3770K

There was atleast 10posts of ppl telling him to calm down or try diffent things and he pretty much ignored everyone and fried his chip lol. Dont know why I felt like sharing this, I just got a kick out of it ;)

Well Fortunesfool, Caddi like's to push to extremes I'm actually surprised that he hasn't tried for 5.5 stable yet. Though knowing how much heat I generate benching at 5.4+, I couldn't imagine how much it would generate trying to get one of these 8350's stable at 5.5.

Well fortunately we don't have much of that in the AMD CPU section. Don't know if I have seen hard headed fry a cpu in here though. The problem is the users read all over the place and then come here wanting help. They think they have it as to where they want to go and if that were the case, I would ask for help where all the information they read was displayed. Oh well, heat it up and let 'er rip.
RGone...

link pleaaaaaase :)

mandrake, my 5.5 stable, 2 hours p95 will have to wait till winter as the little house boss has banned my big rad from the house.
I find that these amd processors will take LN2 voltage and still live, the long term effect is early release of magic smoke, now you know when your processor will die.

Rgone, this is one hell of a body of work you did for this thread.

perhaps as this year wraps up I will be able to add an 8350 or 6300 to "the bone pile".

After I get thru with the Win 7 project I am going to do a little REvisit of the FX-8350 and the offset Vcore that I have now gone to. I need to do some 'real' stability testing and maybe even have to go to air-cooling to get a good "look" at the lower temps with offset Vcore.
RGone...

it looks to me that it's just super pi, I have tried it with a few from the overclocktopus, and nothing, but then I don't know whats x87 and not, but trying it in what i have downloaded.

Very interesting information. Im tempted to test this on my system, but I cant think to many x87 type apps that I actually run other than benchmarks.

At 4.4g seems to be the sweet spot on my 6300.I run on air, so water might be much different.Knowing my core temp maxes out at 42C, on that clock speed is a plus.1.35 volts is another reason.Anything over that clock requires more voltage, produces more heat, for little return.What I mean is, will a few hundred MHz's make a dramatic difference ? In gaming terms a few fps will not make a difference.What will make a difference is the the longevity of the cpu at very high clocks. I'm guessing 4.6 and beyond just from a voltage standpoint.From everything I read about fx cpu's, is it's power management on load.Its double compared to a Intel cpu.That along with increased voltage can not be good for a 24/7 oc.

Last edited:
Back