• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

microsoft's site down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is no good. no computers at work can hit microsoft.com and several of the microsoft sites. but now that you said that, i remoted to my home computer, and i can hit everything just fine from there.

so far I can hit the windowsupdate.microsoft.com fine, but

support.microsoft.com, microsoft.com, msdn.microsoft.com, and microsoft.com/hardware don't work from here at the office.

and i thought today was going to be boring. :bang head

edit: seems to have worked itself out, wondering if it was a routing issue? idk

Last edited:
i could still hit the other sites when microsoft was down, i guess it took microsoft longer to move to their own DNS

thanks for the info :clap:

maybe they tried to switch from unix servers to windows servers? :confused:

JFettig said:
maybe they tried to switch from unix servers to windows servers? :confused:

:D Probably.

"Checking all my favorite sites this morning, I saw that about half a dozen seem to be offline. Trying to figure out why, I found an interesting article on the front page at http://isc.incidents.org/. Seems that the problems at Akamai are screwing over Yahoo, Google, Microsoft, Fedex, Xerox, Apple, and others. Whatever happened to my decentralized net with no single point of failure?"

Yeah...that's a grade AA "whoopsies". *sigh* So much for decentralization.

Microsoft uses Windows 2003 Enterprise for their website... I remember reading something about the top 100 businesses in the world. All of them are on Windows NT, except for Microsoft that claims you NEED 2003.

Isn't NT from the Win98 days too? Amazing...

yeah, i think dns is the achilles heel of the internet. maybe someday someone will think of something better. i kinda feel like dns is more of a patch placed ontop of the internets ideals than anything else. oh well, what can we do in the meantime? cache dns on our home network servers? its what i do, and i think im ready for the next internet apocalypse.

Back