• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would be the best bet for a bootdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonFire

I figure I have three options...

#1, 36GB Raptor

#2, 36 15K scsi U160 drive

#3, spead the least amount of money and get a 7200rom 40GB drive.....

Looking over eBay, the scsi drive would be about the same price as a raptor, tho Id have to get a U160 controller. I asume that U160 is the fastest one could get for a desktop motherboard with only 33mhz pci slot?

If you suggest the scsi way, can you suggest a controller as well?

The drive will only be used for XP Pro along with about 18GB worth of programs/games...

Whats the price difference between the SCSI and the Raptor? If the total for the SCSI drive and the controller is less than the Raptor I would go with that. I would not get a 7200RPM Drive unless it was a Sata Drive, and even then the preformance is not going to be even close to that of a raptor or SCSI drive.

dicecca112 said:
Whats the price difference between the SCSI and the Raptor? If the total for the SCSI drive and the controller is less than the Raptor I would go with that. I would not get a 7200RPM Drive unless it was a Sata Drive, and even then the preformance is not going to be even close to that of a raptor or SCSI drive.

Not 100% sure because I dont know what scsi controller to look for, so I dont have a price for it.

I know that a 36 raptor will costs at least $90 with shipping. Iv seen some 36gb 15K drives on ebay going from $50 and up. Even tho its 18GB, I just saw a Segate ST318452LW on ebay starting at $49....no bids yet and only 2 days left. Now if I got it for that price and a controller for say $30-$40 then it would be the best bet....

If a scsi setup were to look as if it was going to costs the same as a Raptor, I take it it would just be best to get the Raptor?

As for the 40GB 7200rpm idea, yes it would be SATA.

A raptor is very similar in speed to a SCSI drive, although i believe SCSI has other non-speed-related advantages such as CRC checking to check data.

The Raptor is probably in between cost wise, and almost as fast if not as fast as the SCSI drive.

Back