• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going to be Checkin out the Koolance PMP-450S and CTR-SPD1224M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxfly

i have to get a new d5 for the back up rig so i figured why not get THE MOST POWERFUL d5 available!? this is my solution to the micro bubble issue i have in my main rig. i have bubbles stuck in the gpu blocks, mostly on one side of the outlets and cant get them out for ANYTHING! yep you guessed it im running my pumps in parallel rather than series. im soooo tired of tossing this 50lb thing around trying to get the bubbles out. so ima try dis instead. the CTR-SPD1224M will adjust the voltage up to 24v and the 450S will run @ a massive 50 watts! 13 watts more than any other d5 ive found. this will result in a major bump in flow rate and head pressure(see specs) from 12v. im certain that WILL take care of my little buddies. muhahahaaa
i wont be running the pump full blast 24/7. only until the system is purged. i would like to know if anyone has heard a d5 at 24volts before? i cant hear either of mine at 12v. so im curious.
im wondering if anyone has any experience with either the pump or the controller but both would be great!
ive also got a question about the Alphacool HF Quick Release Connector Kit. im needing a couple quick disconnects and have been looking at these but ive no experience with them or any other tbh. i like these in that they are screw together rather than the usual click. they seem like a good bet for no leakage. any input would be greatly appreciated.
im sure alot of you remember martinsliquidlab, he did a really good but dated(2007?)review of the 450S and the predecessor to the CTR-SPD1224M. its a good read if your interested.

heres the controller
http://koolance.com/pump-or-fan-speed-controller-ctr-spd1224m

and the pump
http://koolance.com/pmp-450s-pump-id-13mm-1-2in

and alphacools quick disconnects
http://www.performance-pcs.com/alph...nnector-kit-g1-4-inner-thread-deep-black.html

here are the specs on the 450S

Maximum Flow Rate: 12L/min (3.2 gal/min) @ 12V, 20L/min (5.3 gal/min) @ 24V
Maximum Head Pressure: 3.2m (10.5ft) @ 12V, 6m (19.7ft) @ 24V

Motor: Brushless DC, electronically commutated, spherical motor
Power: 8-24VDC, 3-50W, 0.13-2.1A
Startup Voltage: 9 to 13.2 VDC
Maximum System Pressure: 3.5 kgf/cm2 (50 PSI)
Maximum Temperature: 60°C (140°F)
Electrical Connector: 4-pin Molex power supply connection + 3-pin (single lead) tach
Hose Connections: 13mm (1/2in) ID hose barbs
Wetted Materials: PPO, Carbon/Allumina Ceramic, EPDM or Viton, 316 SS
Noise: Less than 40dBA
Weight: 862g (1.9lbs)
MTBF 50k hours

I have no input @ all on this subject besides I cant wait to see results =) I have been running the same old school DD D5 with a molex power for 13+ years . When it dies this might me a good replacement option =)

I remember when that pump came out. It was pretty much panned as silly and no need for a 24vdc pump, especially when you need a seperate power supply. The benefits are low, and in the negative category when considering cost and size.

The MCP50X is better. Even better is take the two pumps you have and put them in series, problem solved.

And those teeny bubbles you have don't hurt the operation of your loop. Ignore them, they are like a gnat in a beverage, they don't hurt and drink very little. And they will go away.

at 24v it out pumps everything in a ddc or d5 skin. so nah the mcp50x isnt better. more affordable for someone who doesnt have my needs? sure. im aware that the mcp50x is close in both head and flow(and cheaper)but it doesnt beat it @24v! cmon man, cost and size? today? in the land of $1000 loops? anyhow thats not the ONLY reason im going with the pmp450s(big part ill admit lol). its about the same price as any other d5 and the controller will be fun to use on the other d5s as well. so thats a wash for me. and yes theyve been around forever and yeah there have been naysayers for ages. making the same arguments then as you are today. fortunately i already knew all of that going into it. i actually wanted to get them back when martin/xs and everyone with a loop was reviewing them. sadly i already had a slew of different ddcs by then so it didnt make much sense to get another pump i didnt need. as it is this time around fortunately i just so happen to be in need of a d5 for the backup rigs ek-dbay d5 pwm. so all in all i think ill enjoy my overhyped 24v monster d5 and its little psu hehehe. oh yeah, running my d5s in serial isnt possible. sometimes things arent as simple as we would like them to be... if only i could just ignore those damn bubbles! i wouldnt need another pump :p

Okay! (Moves to the far end of the subway car, thinks of getting off at the next stop, ahead of his normal stop.) "Whew, sorry I mentioned common sense, that was weird".:screwy:

aww im sorry if i bruised your sensibilities! Merry Christmas!

it wont be here until the 3rd or 4th or 5th...shipping is all jacked up because of the holiday.

FINALLY they are here!
DSCI0210.jpg
ill let you all know how it goes as soon as i get them hooked up. im going to try the controller on my two existing pumps then ill drain then install the pump. brake pump isnt here yet :( was hoping to be able to use that when i refill the loop.

the brake pump wont be here until the 11th... ill install the 450s in my main rig. then ill use the brake pump on the back up rig. still have to finish the tubing and installing the pump in the res in that one.
the pump controller works like a charm on the xspc and ek pumps. sadly they arent powerful enough to push the bubbles out of the gpu outlets. theres a vortex at the opening of both gpu blocks. ive been able to get some of them out by fluctuating the voltage up and down but there are still alot left to go. when i turn the voltage up to 24v it sucks the water level down in the res! ive had the xspc d5 running at 24v for a couple of hours non stop. the motor isnt even warm.
heres a pic of the controller. its ALOT smaller than i thought it was going to be. itll be really easy to fit it in the lower section of my case.
DSCI0214.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same issue on my GPU's once it was exactly like you say. I could even hear it! If you have soft tube pinch it closed by the GPU and block flow for a second, release. Keep doing that. Now, since you just refilled you'll have micro bubbles that get stuck in that area again and again till the loop clears out. That worked for me.

there just isnt enough tubing to squeeze it like that. one is only a couple of inches and the other is 3-4 inches. ive been slowwwwly working the bubbles out by running the xspc pump up and down but it seems like the more i get rid of the more seem to come back. i had to run out of town for a bit so didnt have time to do anything to either loop. came home today to find that the brake pump was delivered! im going to shoot for this weekend maybe sooner if time permits ;)

well i tried using the brake pump on my main rig...nada, zip zilch. didnt do a thing. i pumped it up to 20-25lbs and all it did was pull some water out of the res. the air in the loop didnt move an inch. fired it back up and yup yup, the bubbles are still stuck in the gpu vortex. i dont think it will work on a big loop unless you can get the sucker up to like 50lbs! i cant imagine i was doing anything wrong? i hooked it up just like you would to a bleeder nut. bah! what a waste!
well im keeping my fingers crossed that the pmp 450s will take care of it.

just thinking out loud. if you guys have any input feel free to hit me up lol.
the head pressure is still only 3.2 x2 even with the 450s unfortunately. i wonder if its because there isnt enough head pressure with d5s in parallel. sigh
ddcs push 5 something each. when i ran my ddc 3.2s in serial i had to stop one of the pumps while bleeding because they just blasted the air throughout the loop with both running(too much pressure). i wonder if xspc sells a bottom for the photon 170 so i can run my pumps in serial? nope id have to sell the 170 and get a new res and a ek dual d5 top. not happenin.

Last edited:
sorry all had to go out of town for a few days. drained the loop and installed the koolance 450s last night. ran it at @24v all night to finish leak testing. it worked out very well. ive only got a couple small bubbles in the gpu lines! so back to having normal bubbles lol. the pump is a little loud at 24v so ill slow it down once im satisfied that i wont get anymore air out of the loop. the pump doesnt get warm but the controller does. not so much to worry about but just a note. so all in all im very happy with the controller and new pump :D

i really like having the controller. its alot of fun to mess around with my other d5s. i got my back up rig finished last night and used the controller with my xspc vario pump. that loop is much smaller and has far less restriction, a cpu block and converted swiftech apogee as a gpu block and 1x240 rad vs cpu/2 full coverage gpu 2x360rads. i literally only needed to run the pump @24v for maybe 5 mins and the loop was completely bled! still ran it overnight to confirm but no more air came out.
if i had to do it again i wouldnt hesitate.

edit- dont waste your time with the brake pump. i tried to use it on my back up and had the same issue. no matter how much pressure i generated it would not pull any fluid back into the loop.

Nice! Grats on the new parts! Hope they work out as expected! :thup: I'm planning on swapping tubing/fittings & fluid as well.

Back