• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking XFX Geforce FX5900 (reg)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cubaxp

I need to know how much do i can push my XFX Geforce FX5900 (reg) with it's retail fan? Exactly, how much this chip and memory can be overclocked?
THANKS

flash it to a 5950 ultra. I did that on my 5900NU and can easily hit 520 core 1gig memory on stock PNY cooling.

hmm, i'm not so sure if that is a great idea to flash it. i know i have done it to my xfx 5900xt and i ran into problems after flashing it. i wasn't able to flash it back to the original bios. flashing it to 5950u may increase clock speeds, but the performance gains are not that significant. when you flash it to a 5950u, the timings on your ram is slower, which allows you to oc it a little higher. advantage to flashing it though, you get permanent clock speeds instead of having software oc and the voltage to your gpu is bumped up just a tiny bit to allow a slight more oc.

it's your decision, there is a slight risk involved. when i had my xfx 5900xt, i was running it constant around 480/950 before the flash.

but then again, that is a 5900xt and not a nu version. the decision is yours. try upping the clock speeds little by little and test the stability of it by running a few benchmarks and games, at the same time monitor the temperature.

good luck oc'ing!

Mine is been running for ages with a modified XFX OEM BIOS.

Most BIOS files are incompatible with the XFX 5900XT, but a modified one can help a great deal.

Just like 12cm Vantec fans.....

The 5900XT rocks when flashed to a 5950 Ultra, but better cooling is surely required when tampering with the throttle values.

Once the throttle frequency is allowed to go higher, the performance gain is more than satisfactory at worst.

I noticed a HUGE jump in benchmarks when i flashed it. Before i flashed i couldn't even hit 43k in aquamarks, and now i am almost to 54k in it. 3dmark03 jumped 1200 points also.

Thanks a lot for the information. Now, what's the critical temp for a non air-conditioned local and my video card with a P4 Fan mod?

Each card, even if they are made by the same company, is different. You will have to find out exactly where your card does good and starts to go bad. I read somewhere here this quote "In overclockering, he who tries the most things, wins." So, just experiment and research.

yes, but, what are the critical temp for this nvidia chip, I mean, what's the normal high temp????

please answer me!!!!
Mine one in around 1 Hour of intensive Doom III gaming gets the 70 celcius degrees. Is it normal?

Back