• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions... 200gb maxtor,western digital,or seagate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, I have no pictures of my current setup.... amazing. And I dont know where my dad's camera is. Oh well, work with me here.

I have a mini ATX case, and had to make my own hard drive mount since I could not use my old one when I put in a window. So now, it is hanging below a floppy drive, via acrylic pieces (might be a problem... the metal mounts MIGHT be a natual heat sink). I usually have a 120 panaflow medium on 5v blowing on it, as my main case intake, but I have taken it out for the time being. There isnt any wire problems or anything, just the lack of the fan made the temp shoot up about 10C. Just gotta throw that fan back in....

K, back on topic. Enough thread jacking by me.

neonblingbling said:
I'm not going to bash Seagate, but I have a 120GB 7200.7, and without any fans on it, it can get hotter than my CPU :attn: . (CPU average at 45 idle, half load, hard drive can reach 48 easy).

my 7200.7 are different then yours....the 160 and 200GB ones are different from the rest of the series. They have newer electronics, native sata and stuff. Also more sound reducing measures.

Sjaak said:
my 7200.7 are different then yours....the 160 and 200GB ones are different from the rest of the series. They have newer electronics, native sata and stuff. Also more sound reducing measures.

The whole SATA 7200.7 is Native SATA. They are all the same except that the newer revisions have NCQ, and the 160 use a higher density platter. The 160 and up have a higher sustaned read due to the higher density platter.

Tebore said:
The whole SATA 7200.7 is Native SATA. They are all the same except that the newer revisions have NCQ, and the 160 use a higher density platter. The 160 and up have a higher sustaned read due to the higher density platter.

From what i read on storagereview, the 200GB drives are more quiet because the platters are different.

I thought the difference between the 2 drives (120 - 200) would be bigger but i was wrong, sorry.

Last edited:
I have one more question that I don't think has been asked yet: the seagate drive is looking mighty tempting but should I get IDE or SATA? I currently don't have a mobo that will support SATA, but there are a couple here online I can get. Especially since the SATA version is only $8 more or something like that. All of my current drives are IDE, but that may change if I like the SATA drives.

The difference is only minor. If you can get a convertor cheap (ide->sata), you can get the ide version, save 8 bucks and connect it to sata later anyway.

noxipoo said:
Any seagate with NCQ? I was going to get the maxtor but I can give seagate a try.

Yes the newer Revision of the 7200.7 Series has it. You have to check by serial number. Check www.storagereview.com for the info.

Sjaak: I was just pointing out the difference isn't that much, I heard the same thing about the platters. My 120s are pretty quiet I'd like to see how quiet the newer platters are...

I think each platter for the 120s hold 60 gigs on each side so there's only one platter in the 120s and the 160s vary using 2 platters with 60 gig density or a 1 100gig density but only 160 is accessible. Someone correct me on this...

The guy from the shop where i bought the drives told me that the 160GB one uses 2x80GB platters, and the 200GB uses 2x100GB. Seagate is the first to have 100GB on a single platter, which in addition to the quieter operation of those platters, makes the drives unique. (i tried to maintain his marketing-talk style ;))

Sjaak said:
The guy from the shop where i bought the drives told me that the 160GB one uses 2x80GB platters, and the 200GB uses 2x100GB. Seagate is the first to have 100GB on a single platter, which in addition to the quieter operation of those platters, makes the drives unique. (i tried to maintain his marketing-talk style ;))

That's it... 80 gig platters. My friend has the 200gig drives and it's amazingly fast for 7200RPMs. It beats a raptor in certain things because of the Native SATA interface and NCQ.

Tebore said:
It beats a raptor in certain things because of the Native SATA interface and NCQ.

The main reason why i bought them. By that time (end of june) they were by far the fastest 7.2k rpm / sata drives available, and knowing i'd put them in raid, a raptor wouldn't even match in speed, let alone $/GB.

Back