• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell replaced my ATI 9700 Pro with a 9800 pro for FREE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hey guys,
I had some problems with my video card on my PC. (It's probably because you guys told me about some program that could overclock my card and I jacked it up 400%...heh heh) Anyways, Dell replaced my card as part of my warranty...gotta love that huh?

They replaced my old 9700 pro with a 9800 pro!!! Nice huh! I can actually notice a very slight differance too. When I was playing LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth it would run really reeeeeeally slow just to see the menu screen. Now it just lags a little bit instead of completely stopping. I love my new card!

I wanted to test it out with my old 3D Mark 2001 SE program but it said that I needed Direct X 8.1??? I thought I already installed 9.0 by now or something? When you replace a card, do you have to re-install Direct X?

TommyHolly said:
I wanted to test it out with my old 3D Mark 2001 SE program but it said that I needed Direct X 8.1??? I thought I already installed 9.0 by now or something? When you replace a card, do you have to re-install Direct X?
No,it must be a glitch or something.DX9 is backwards compatible with dx8.1 games or benchmarks.

Well you got the best of your warrentee then. Did you buy the extended warrentee? I wonder if you got the R360 gpu? Did you install updated drivers yet for the 9800 Pro? I know that they are a unified driver, but if you havent updated drivers in awhile you might get even better performance than you are already noticing? Since you got that error message I wouldnt be surprised if your card is running on a windows supplied driver.

I went to the site and there were 2 drivers???

I wonder what was the right one?

I installed the second larger one first at 27megs and my screen screwed up right away? The second smaller driver at 22megs worked and my PC locked up but has been working fine since I rebooted.

yeah its cool when that happens, i know someone who had dell upgrade their 9500 to a 9800 pro on warrenty

TheGreySpectre said:
yeah its cool when that happens, i know someone who had dell upgrade their 9500 to a 9800 pro on warrenty

They must be handing them out like candy over at the dell factory. It's cool that lots of manufacturers do this. Hope your card dies long after production has stopped but it is still under warranty.

Back