• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice delayed but for how long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, Strained Silicon will be used with Venice. SSE3, improved memory controller and Strained silicon were all in the same PR release. They have yet to officially announce it in a chip.. I have a feeling they will with the next CPU.

nicknomo said:
Well, Strained Silicon will be used with Venice. SSE3, improved memory controller and Strained silicon were all in the same PR release. They have yet to officially announce it in a chip.. I have a feeling they will with the next CPU.

The inclusion of SS is still very much speculation. So I wouldn't necessarily count on it as a definite perk of the newer core.

deception``

Sentential, I sympathise with your poor-quality Winchester chip, but a new A64 processor is not out of the question, even another, newer, winchester. Don't leave the AMD camp just yet bro!!

The 90nm process will only get better as production continues, deception`` is completely correct when he says that the process has not yet even come close to approaching maturity, or its full potential.

As higher PR cores are released in the 90nm process, speed bins and standards will improve, as yields improve - which they undoubtably will.

By the time nForce4 based AMD machines are mainstream, I would not be surprised if we will be seeing a somewhat-mature 90nm process, with far nicer results, and more consistant overclocking.

Hold onto that lemon Winchester for now, and hunker down for nForce4, and a newer chip. Build yourself a nice watercooling setup to bide the time :)

Sentential, it is important to remember that by being one of the first to try out the 90nm processors, you are a pioneer - one of the brave souls who gets shafted with all of the early-release problems. Many people avoid brand-new hardware because of this, but you chose not to :beer:.

deception`` said:
1. Remember that all dual cores will run slower than single cores for quite some time. The architecture might be advanced, but they will be lacking to software to truly make them attractive to enthusiasts and the average consumer alike.

2. When I made the w/c comment, I was referring to your desire to look into a P4.

3. Before you decide to jump ship, let's discuss some of your options later this evening.

deception``
1. Im not looking at a dual. Im looking at the 6xx series.
2. I know that :D and I wont need that much cooling
3. Be happy to discuss options. But here is where *I* stand and why I see it as the best option:

I have crappy DDR1. I need a GB but im not throwing $250 away on RAM ill use less than a year

I have a high powered AGP card. Doubly screwed

The last S939 CPU is the 4200+. I need a new CPU and I was waiting on Venice. Since that appears they may can it because of delays = **** this

TimoneX said:
Sen forgive me if it's not my place, but why don't you just eBay your chip and go for a new winnie? It's pretty clear you got an early stepping that's a poor OCer. Perhaps a nice new CBBID would make awaiting Venice easy.
Nah. I need new RAM as well and a whole buncha things. Its best if I just abandon AMD.

felinusz said:
Sentential, I sympathise with your poor-quality Winchester chip, but a new A64 processor is not out of the question, even another, newer, winchester. Don't leave the AMD camp just yet bro!!

Sentential, it is important to remember that by being one of the first to try out the 90nm processors, you are a pioneer - one of the brave souls who gets shafted with all of the early-release problems. Many people avoid brand-new hardware because of this, but you chose not to :beer:.
Well bro sadly it looks as tho Ill be the first to try a 6XX P4. <depending on what info I get today> I just cant afford to **** away $500+ to hang onto an AMD system that I will need to gut in less than 9 months.

I have very little faith that we will ever see the E0s. What's to stop AMD from canning the whole line? nada.

Im goign to stay with AMD until Smithfield then Im moving to Intel

Sentential said:
Well bro sadly it looks as tho Ill be the first to try a 6XX P4. <depending on what info I get today> I just cant afford to **** away $500+ to hang onto an AMD system that I will need to gut in less than 9 months.

I have very little faith that we will ever see the E0s. What's to stop AMD from canning the whole line? nada.

Im goign to stay with AMD until Smithfield then Im moving to Intel

Well there's a problem with your argument here. Obviously, Smithfield is the codename for Intel's dual core. Perhaps you are not aware, but dual core Intel chips will not support DDR. So there's a strong chance that anyone looking for Smithfield/Intel dual core glory is going to have to upgrade their memory and video card. And given the novelty of the dual core architecture, it will not be possible for firms like DFI and Asus to create motherboards making dual cores backwards-compatible with the 865/875 chipsets. So when you think about it that way, you're looking to upgrade parts regardless.

deception``

Arrggg....... why cant AMD just release the damn things? Im gonna play it AMD style "wait and see" guess thats all I can do at this point. However im gonna keep an open mind to whatever alternatives I have

Sentential

Im gonna play it AMD style "wait and see" guess thats all I can do at this point. However im gonna keep an open mind to whatever alternatives I have

Good decision Sent, thats the logical thinker whom we know and love :)

Look at it this way. Build yourself a nice watercooling setup to pass the time (I am serious about this), and let the big hardware upgrades sit on the backburner.

Wait untill the nForce4 platform is mainstream; this is when we will start to really see what AMD has to offer us in the way of improved yield quality on the 90nm process - Winchester will be getting some good mileage yet - this is my strong belief right now.

If the chips aren't up to your standards by then, it will be easy to dump AMD and go intel.

I strongly suspect that the nForce4 + a matured 90nm process will be a serious force to be reckoned with.

I don't even have a real rig right now - all I've got is an old iMac G3 for schoolwork. I'll be buying a new machine by the end of March, once all the next-generation platform issues have been ironed out (and there will be issues), and I can make an educated purchase decision.

Whether that intelligent decision ends up being intel or AMD is of no consequence to me: I will go where the performance and quality is.

TimoneX said:
Sen forgive me if it's not my place, but why don't you just eBay your chip and go for a new winnie? It's pretty clear you got an early stepping that's a poor OCer. Perhaps a nice new CBBID would make awaiting Venice easy.

yea id do just that. well your 3200+ does have a good ondie controller so youd be taking a chance on a new one, also 3200+ is like $230+ now making it expensive vs. the 3000+ and if you go intel itll only be a big downgrade. Theres nothing wrong with your cpu, its probably your mobo. I love my winchester, howcome you dont? yea, yea so mine has an ondie controller that can only do 250-255 but its stable

"The inclusion of SS is still very much speculation. So I wouldn't necessarily count on it as a definite perk of the newer core."

amd might omit SS in the early venice to save $ because the 3400 and 3700 venice only run 2 and 2.2GHz so theres no need for SS except for fx55 and fx57(san diago?) This would make Venice much less appealing except for sse3 and better ondie controller and possbily a bit faster clock for clock vs. winchester but its not worth my $ for a tiny 10% upgrade.

"Hold onto that lemon Winchester for now, and hunker down for nForce4, and a newer chip. Build yourself a nice watercooling setup to bide the time"

screw watercooling, it can leak. Just get a gigabyte nf3 or wait for the dfi nf4 mobo and get a new 3200+ winchester too. youll need to give up your agp card but you can go SLI or get an x800xl

"being one of the first to try out the 90nm processors, you are a pioneer - one of the brave souls who gets shafted with all of the early-release problems."

I never had problems with mine except for the ondie controller being only average at ~250 and the winchester not overclocking to 2.6 or even 2.5GHz stable but I paid $160 for it and I enjoyed its power, even at like 2.3GHz its one powerful chip!

"I need a GB but im not throwing $250 away on RAM ill use less than a year"

amd isnt gonna go to ddr2 anytime soon, if ever. either keep your ram or get patriot tccd for $220.

"I have a high powered AGP card. Doubly screwed"

thats what classifieds or ebay is for, you can get like $350 for it and spend that on a pci-e x800xl or even go SLI

"Nah. I need new RAM as well and a whole buncha things. Its best if I just abandon AMD."

Intel uses pci-e too so how will this help you? Plus Intel costs more and is slower. you will be truly screwed if you go that route, but its your call :(

"I just cant afford to **** away $500+ to hang onto an AMD system that I will need to gut in less than 9 months."

everyones telling you just to get a new 3200+ winchester and ebay your old one dude

"Arrggg....... why cant AMD just release the damn things? Im gonna play it AMD style "wait and see" guess thats all I can do at this point. However im gonna keep an open mind to whatever alternatives I have"

why would amd release venice so soon when their winchesters crush any p4 out there? amd is still making winchesters and making $ and they will wait for Intel to try to catch up then blow them out of the water with Venice. Just have patience even if its 3-6 months. This is my plan, I am keeping this 3000+ winchester, not even gonna bother getting another, waste of $ for me will just save for venice(must have SS and overclock to at least 3GHz) if the first venice dont do 3GHz I will keep waiting

Ha man Sen kind of took over lol jp man it is ALL VERY RELIVENT about the Venice...believe it or not i am also thinking of saying poo on AMD...and going Intel as of now i have nothing to loose only gain...I HAVE to make a new comp so that is that for me i have ALWAYS been looking at Intel...more as a back up but if you ask me it is looking rather nice right now...so idk…but a new Intel pci-e, ddr2, and 90nm is pretty nice.

Duke

Overclocker550

screw watercooling, it can leak.

Uh, this is why we use hose clamps, and common sense when running a watercooling circuit on our machine.

I am sorry, I am not at all impressed with your advice; you clearly have never tried watercooling yourself, and have conveniently omitted the hundreds of great things about it that heavily over-weigh the very very small risk of your system springing a serious leak.

This is like saying "screw overclocking, it could void your warranty, and destroy your computer" - this is an overclockers forums, watercooling is quite mainstream here.

"so idk…but a new Intel pci-e, ddr2, and 90nm is pretty nice."

and ill laugh when you lose to my 3000+ winchester and ddr costing 1/2 of what you paid for the Intel setup. It seems like your mad venice isnt comming so you go Intel to "punish" amd when your really punishing yourself

Sentential said:
Ok.....THIS nonsense is *BULL****!* Some days I aske myself WHY..WHY god did I not get an LGA775 :-/

I can still fix that and if AMD keeps this **** up I will. I sense a 640F is in my immediate future.

wow.. you guys need to chill.

Let AMD do their thing.... when you want to buy, buy. Oh no if you miss out on a few mhz...

I get annoyed by everyone saying WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!!

Yes, you may get something a tad better.... you may not!

Everyone panics SO much when they say somethings gonna happen... why? You all act like its all AMD's fault for you missing out on 150mhz... :rolleyes:

You can't wait forever....... all I hear is.. wait.. wait... wait.... wait... everywhere...

Ya know... really, though, I was looking at an A64 sys... but... If I bought it now, a geforce 6800, winnie, etc... It wouldnt really be much slower than if I waited 3 months.... I mean, geez... everyone been screaming wait for the last few months, but my friend just bought a 3400+, and a 6800 which the pipes unlocked.... is a venice really gonna be worth a 3-4month wait? Even if the average air OC was 3ghz or better on those things, its not gonna be **THAT** much faster.... and its not like performance these days is lacking or anything....... :eh?:

felinusz said:
Uh, this is why we use hose clamps, and common sense when running a watercooling circuit on our machine.

I am sorry, I am not at all impressed with your advice; you clearly have never tried watercooling yourself, and have conveniently omitted the hundreds of great things about it that heavily over-weigh the very very small risk of your system springing a serious leak.

oh.. ive had a fan plugged into a fan header (regular 80mm..) short out and kill my SB. mobo still (amazingly) works, but no sound, no VGA port, only DVI, and no working PCI slots.

All cooling is deadly. :beer:

hey dippy.

I do agree with you on most of your points. There is always something better coming around the corner. Still though, I think its a bad idea to buy on the back end of the product cycle... The problem is that AMD isn't being clear when the new product cycle will start.

You see if the new product cycle starts you have a much better choice.
1) get the new products for roughly the same price as the old ones OR
2) get the old products cheaper.

If it means waiting 2 months or less, I'd say ok.. 3 months, it depends on how bad you want your system... 4 months plus on the other hand... I'd say that is a bit too long to wait. I think a lot of frustration is... we don't know. Things used to be a lot clearer..

Nowadays even if the companies do release the parts, they are in such short supply it takes about 3 months just to filter into the market. Nvidia sort of pissed me off with their release of the NV40. For like 6 months, there was a serious supply shortage. Before they slowed their release of new products down, that would have meant we'd be getting a new core by now. Its a joke.

Has anyone actually seen this roadmap - dont you think the fact it said the 90nm desktop Semprons were out last year and that theer are no "real" 754 90nm (I guess that means the 35watter 2700, 2800, & 3000+s they are putting in HP/Compaq are not real) makes it a somewhat unreliable source?
Never heard this much panic since they broadcast "war of the worlds" on the radio!!!! lol
AMD have publically stated SS will come out first half of 2005 in 90nm A64s I strongly doubt they will go back on that.

Agreed, OC Detective.

Let's not have a conniption fit because of minor delays. That is assuming it is actually delayed. Delays happen all the time. One should expect it.

Patience is a virtue.

Back