• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice delayed but for how long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Richard said:
Agreed, OC Detective.

Let's not have a conniption fit because of minor delays. That is assuming it is actually delayed. Delays happen all the time. One should expect it.

Patience is a virtue.
True, but its annoying as hell when you are making plans to upgrade things when AMD keeps changing their stance. This would be the reason why buisnesses chose Intel over AMD. Atleast I know what Intel is going to do :-/ Wish AMD would take a page from their book

Sentential said:
True, but its annoying as hell when you are making plans to upgrade things when AMD keeps changing their stance. This would be the reason why buisnesses chose Intel over AMD. Atleast I know what Intel is going to do :-/ Wish AMD would take a page from their book
Just playing devils advocate here nothing more, but if that was the case many a person would have a stock 4Ghz Prescott in their systems.
Intel is just as guilty of chopping and changing. Where AMD falls down is in their transparancy - all AMD have OFFICIALLY said is venice out first half of the year (up until November this cpu didnt even exist on their official roadmaps!!) It has been unofficial sites or people such as ourselves (myself included) saying things like January/FebruaryMarch/April. AMD have not slipped from their timeline and we cant accuse them of it until June 2005 (a whole 5 months away!) is in the past and Venices are not out.
So basically we are giving AMD a hard time because one unofficial roadmap shows that AMD is slipping when compared against another unofficial roadmap!!!!

Last edited:
Going Intel is just going to give u something new to complain about. Benchmarks are lower, new memory and stuff like that. Maybe ur current cpu is crappy or maybe its hte mobo. The MSI isnt exactly a godsend. Its the best out of all, but by no means is it a godsend. Maybe a new NF4 will solve all ur problems Sentential. If there's anyone to blame, I would blame ATI for more of their vaporware (x800XL is about 2 months late). I would have dumped this intel rig if the x800xl came out already along with the new NF4 mobos.

the x800xl is out already in the UK and available to buy....its not vapourware- theyre in stock in uk stores:)

Vrykyl said:
the x800xl is out already in the UK and available to buy....its not vapourware- theyre in stock in uk stores:)

How much is it?

Allstarshop in the US listed it available (same day shipping), but is priced $429 which is 43% higher than the $300 manufacturer's suggested retail price.

They have listed the X800XL for quite a while and I don't know why only that site has it and other vendors do not have it.

hitechjb1 said:
They have listed the X800XL for quite a while and I don't know why only that site has it and other vendors do not have it.

ZipZoomFly has it for $429.99. Still way overpriced though.

Sen why are you so obsessed with getting another CPU when your at 2.55ghz.

get some more ram. :temper:

Everyone here is obsessed with more speed...or hadn't you noticed? :p

Grov said:

:confused: Why on earth would I bother buying high capacity DDR1 when in less than one year it will be wholly obsolete. It makes no sense whatsoever. Plus it would be cheaper to just buy a new proccy.

If I bought any RAM right now, I would get 512MB of TCCD.

I buy hardware all the time with 1 year lifespans. I certainly don't expect to be using this 3 week old 3200+ in a year. Seems far more likely I'll be using this week old TCCD then. Buy it now and sell it or use it in a backup system later. I seriously doubt quality TCCD ram will be devoid of any value 365 days from today.

TimoneX said:
I seriously doubt quality TCCD ram will be devoid of any value 365 days from today.
I dont. Look at what happened to BH5 once TCCD hit. Or what about MT-5BC chips. As soon as there is a better alternative available your older stuff is pratically worthless

BH5 is worthless? News to me, I see guys looking for it all the time. Heck if you have any lemme know I'll buy it from you bro. :p

Sentential said:
:confused: Why on earth would I bother buying high capacity DDR1 when in less than one year it will be wholly obsolete. It makes no sense whatsoever.

This is far from true. Standard DDR will not be obsolete one year from today. As a matter of fact, it will take motherboard manufacuters longer than that just to ramp total productions to DDR2. And yes, dual core chips will be designed with DDR2 in mind, but they will be very new in one year's time and the market demand will not be enough to necessitate the paradigm shift to DDR2.

deception``

Please give me your worthless hardwares in about a year. I will gladly take them off ur hands, i'll even pay for some of the worthless items. :)

Grov said:

His old barton did 2.6GHz so he wants at least that with the winchester, also he doesnt like winchesters ondie controller or difficulty with p95, good thing I dont even have p95, saves me tons of headaches, I couldnt be happier with winchester even with its 250x9=2.25GHz capable ondie controller, cpu will do higher but async negates extra clocks. I can bench at 262x9 and at "only" 2.36GHz I am crushing much higher clocked cpus left and right cause I know how to overclock, tweak and bench, I can make my "low" clocks perform just fine and who needs 3GHz or even 2.5GHz, todays games will run just fine on any a64 2GHz or higher, even a s754 castle. Ill go Venice when they are hitting 3GHz for about $200 or so

"Everyone here is obsessed with more speed...or hadn't you noticed?"

no kidding, but im happy with what I got, Venice can wait, a new gpu can wait even longer.

"I seriously doubt quality TCCD ram will be devoid of any value 365 days from today."

itll drop a little in value but not be close to obsolete, bh5 has kept its value for many years, only now is it slowly losing value as people sell their bh5 for tccd which clocks higher on much less volts. Only hardcore 3dmarkers still use bh5 for every last point. I expect TCCD to keep improving, hopefully by the time I go Venice(in 6 months?) we will be seeing pc4800 TCCD, perhaps a new revision of gskill with 2.5-3-3-7 timings. That ram and a Venice at 300x10 or even better will really own! I have no clue how my patriot will do since my winchester's ondie controller limits me but I may sell that patriot anyway and get better TCCD for Venice. I saw no point getting Gskill now when im ondie controller limited

Sentential said:
I dont. Look at what happened to BH5 once TCCD hit. Or what about MT-5BC chips. As soon as there is a better alternative available your older stuff is pratically worthless

BH5 has been around for quite a while now, and in that sence it's not the best comparison. I sold my bh5 ram for a good profit almost a year after I bought it! :sn:

But the idea is quite correct...

Still, you can get tccd for dirt cheap now.

Yes c627627 has posted that roadmap here previously. It seems AMD expects the Venice to have a higher IPC and therefore granted it a slightly higher PR rating, presumably due to the inclusion of SSE3 & a more refined memory controller. Here's to hoping their performance estimates are spot on.

Sentential said:
:confused: Why on earth would I bother buying high capacity DDR1 when in less than one year it will be wholly obsolete. It makes no sense whatsoever. Plus it would be cheaper to just buy a new proccy.

If I bought any RAM right now, I would get 512MB of TCCD.

Because you only have 512mb. :rolleyes:

You a bencher geek?

Like others have said, if BH-5 is worthless, you might as well give it me.

I find it strange, that everyone seems so obsessed with speed, yet isn't willing to get low timmings. Over at anandtech theres some pretty decent differences with decent and low timmings, i.e BH-5/VX vs TCCD or other stuff. Surely getting every last drop of performance out of your PC is best?

Back