• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice delayed but for how long?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dropadrop said:
Still, you can get tccd for dirt cheap now.
Yea... yea i know. I was passing by muhy just yesterday and they had a GB set of PC4400 TCCD for $230. I might get that once I get my tax return back.

Grov said:
Because you only have 512mb. :rolleyes:

You a bencher geek?

Like others have said, if BH-5 is worthless, you might as well give it me.
:D lol....thats a little presumptious of you considering *you* bought an x800XT PE *and* a 3700+ long before I went with an A64. To be honest I never really saw the benefit of having a GB.

Ive played games on my friends PCs who have 1-3GB of RAM, I honestally dont see any change in peformance from my 512MB. Could be me tho.

As a whole BH5 has lost a great deal of its value. Its just ordinary RAM at this point, much like TCCD is becoming now. I can remember when they were charging $370 for a GB of TCCD not even 4 months ago. Now you can get it for just above $200

I think we're getting well astray from the subject material on this thread and the rhetoric is getting increasingly harsh unfortunately.

Well i have no idea what m buying my stuff before you has to do with anything, but whatever.

I was merely trying to say, in my own special way :D, that i think another 512mb of ram would be money best spent for you. :thup:

Grov said:
Well i have no idea what m buying my stuff before you has to do with anything, but whatever.

I was merely trying to say, in my own special way :D, that i think another 512mb of ram would be money best spent for you. :thup:
Nah:D that was merely in response to my PC being a bench queen lol. Yea I understand whatcha mean and you are right. Im sure a GB would be nice to have....I just reall cringe at the thought of spending $250 on RAM....but then again I spend $370 on a 6800GT so its knida a moot point lol

I'd pay the difference between 512Mb and 1Gb just for the satisfaction of seeing that stupid page file increase in size less frequently. :)

Heh some people are plain strange. Willing to spend loads of money on GPU's and CPU's, etc but skimp on memory. :eek:

His choice, and it's not like we're talking about a newb here. I'm sure he has his reasons.

TimoneX said:
His choice, and it's not like we're talking about a newb here. I'm sure he has his reasons.

Indeed, thats why i find it strange. It definatly loads games faster and theres a general smoothness, not there with 512mb, well for me anyways. :clap:

Sentential said:
Yea... yea i know. I was passing by muhy just yesterday and they had a GB set of PC4400 TCCD for $230. I might get that once I get my tax return back.

:D lol....thats a little presumptious of you considering *you* bought an x800XT PE *and* a 3700+ long before I went with an A64. To be honest I never really saw the benefit of having a GB.

Ive played games on my friends PCs who have 1-3GB of RAM, I honestally dont see any change in peformance from my 512MB. Could be me tho.

As a whole BH5 has lost a great deal of its value. Its just ordinary RAM at this point, much like TCCD is becoming now. I can remember when they were charging $370 for a GB of TCCD not even 4 months ago. Now you can get it for just above $200

to be honest, i feel the same way, lol i just went from 512 to 1GB i didn't not feel any different, i'm pissed, but it's nice to see 1GB :) looks nicer than 512 IMO

warlock110 said:
to be honest, i feel the same way, lol i just went from 512 to 1GB i didn't not feel any different, i'm pissed, but it's nice to see 1GB :) looks nicer than 512 IMO
It does...but I think i'd rather get an audigy2.

_____

<back on subject>

Anyone heard anything new? Im gonna take a look around and see what I can find. Last I heard all the taiwaneese suppliers are running out of S939 CPus and have no ETA from AMD :-/ Not sure if thats a good sign or bad

I would guess that's a good sign, particularly if Palermo was just sighted. Has that Palermo sighting been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt?

TimoneX said:
I would guess that's a good sign, particularly if Palermo was just sighted. Has that Palermo sighting been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt?
Well from my understanding recent CPUz shots indicate that it is *not* palermo, but instead a cache disabled winchester... :(

Drat! Would've been an encouraging sign. Still it's nearly Feb we should see some sign soon.

Q3 would put it near the scheduled release of Toledo. What else does AMD have scheduled for release between then and now besides Venice & Palermo? Seems like a long time to go without many new gizmos to get consumers, analysts, & investors excited. There's supposed to be a 3800+ winchester correct? Have we even seen that yet?

From what I read its an easy and quick transition to Strained Silicon. The fabs require little change (according to an article I read). There will be better yields and and less electical leakage. I have no idea why they would really wait to implement this.

Its very possible Winchester E0's might have only strained silicon, without the core change... Maybe that will be an interim change before a new core deployment using Strained Silicon...

Who knows at this point..

nicknomo said:
From what I read its an easy and quick transition to Strained Silicon. The fabs require little change (according to an article I read). There will be better yields and and less electical leakage. I have no idea why they would really wait to implement this...
2 Reasons. #1 They dont have the money, #2 Yeilds have been quite poor. My guess is that they are having technical difficulties which is causing the whole release schedule to be pushed back

Ok new news:

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

First the bad news, if you consider it bad: amd is speed binning and saving all the winchesters that have bad cache as 256k or even 128k semprons, those have a64 disabled too! Avoid any and all semprons like the plague, why pay $$$$$$ to go s939 and buy a weak, crippled sempron? Anyway its not like youll buy one by accident since they are labled totally different, I say amd is putting their semprons vs. Intel's celerons where it deserves so, both low end and crap in my and many other's opinions. The cpu may be under $100 but you get what you pay for.....

Ok the good news, and this supprised me is Venice starts at 3000+ and goes to 3800+
bad news is I doubt they will have Strained Silcon, why is amd releasing them at such low clocks? They might use Strained Silcon later on or on the San diago. I doubt amd will use SS on anything below 2.6GHz as they dont need SS for low clocks, why spend $ on SS just to put out way underclocked cpus? I also see amd wont be having a 3800+ winny, good we dont need more of those with weak ondie controllers, also amd may not having such great yields on such high clocked winnies. I know many will clock there but they need overvolts and some arent 100% stable at those clocks either.

San diago looks interesting. It starts at 2.2GHz which could make for a very afforable 1mb cache and this could also kill off amd's fx53 and possibly fx55 sales unless the San diago lacks SS and doesnt overclock to where the fx55 does.

Prices: not sure but ill speculate:

Venice 3000, 3200, 3500, 3800 at $199, $249, $329, $449
San Diago 3700, 4000, 4200, fx55 at $399, $549, $699, $949

Mean Overclocking estimates(100% stable only! all on air)

Venice in order: 2.53, 2.6, 2.63, 2.67
comments: the 3000+ has only 9x multi so naturally the average overclock would be the lowest due to fsb and ram limitation. The 3200+ and up are amd's better speed bins and with their higher multis, you wont need as good ram. It should overclock as good as the latest week winchesters but Venice may improve over time.

San Diago in order: 2.63, 2.67, 2.7 ,2.95
comments: San diago should overclock as well as Venice. The 2.6GHz San Diago may have very little headroom unless its Strained Silcon. The fx57 ought to be Strained Silcon since stock starts at 2.8 with 3GHz overclocks being fairly common on air at that.

anyway given the new info, feel free to post your own speculations

Extra layers of copper interconents should translate into higher overclocks when compared to Winchesters. Just one extra layer in T-Bred B's made them overclock to 2.3 GHz average, whereas T-Bred A's averaged 2.0 GHz.

Venice will have two extra layers, so they should be overclocking champs.
The 3400+ Sempron when it comes out Q3 2005 will be Venice with half its cache disabled (it's disabled more often than faulty, there aren't that many faulty 1/2 cache parts) + disabled AMD64.

Why spend the extra $ on making lower clocked parts you ask? It doesn't work that way, why have T-Bred B 1700+ when you can have a Palomino 1700+? :) They make them WITHOUT labels, they then test them and label them accordingly. If there is marketing demand for lower rated chips and they run out, then they use cores that could have gone to make higher rated chips and we get superoverclockers like the 1700+ DLT3C Thoroughbred B (not A).

Back