• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illogical06

Ok..where to begin. I have a ati 9600xt vid card and i want to overclock it. As of now i only have stock cooling but i've ordered the arctic cooling vga silencer 2 so heat shouldnt be a problem..i think. I've read a recent thread entitled radeon tweaking and learned that the best drivers to use are the omega drivers for overclocking. Now i also realize the programs to oc with are ati tool, rtool, and rad-linker. First, where can i download rtool? I read www.dextrose.com was a place but i couldnt find it. Next, i'm not sure exactly how to use these programs in conjunction with one another. I use ati tool to find my max values that i want before errors (assuming), but do i turn my drivers down before i do this? And also, can't i turn the tri to bi in ati control panel instead of rtool? As far as i know, thats all i need the program for. Really, all i know is ati tool to check, rad-linker to oc and thats it. Pls enlighten me on this matter kind souls of oc'ing.

You can use any drivers for oc'ing u want. Omega drivers come w/ radlinker, and ati tool. So just download omega 4.12 (best drivers, imo) and u'll get radlinker, atitool, and u'll be set :)

I'd let ati tool find ur max oc, then set it via radlinker, so you don't need atitool running in the background. If u wanna read up on atitool, this is their website
http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

Ahhhh, simple enuff explanation. The only problems is that when i install the omega drivers, my graphics card can just barely display any image whatsoever. Xp comes up with an error saying that the drivers are incompatible with xp, they were meant for an older version. The thing is i clicked the win2kxp driver section and i also uninstalled all ati drivers and software before installing the omega drivers. The options that i chose (i think this is y) when installing omega drivers was fast write off (cuz it was recommended for all ati cards) and the normal drivers setup. After i choose my options, and click the "continue anyway" notification from windows, the installer will pop up sumthin like "This file already exists and is/isnt (cant remember now) older then the source/original file" I've selected yes to all, and also no to all...both dont work..

Note: I had atitool and rad-linker installed when i uninstalled the ati drivers and installed the omega drivers..xtra info incase it might be it

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
hey!!! this is my thread lol....can i get some help too?

Off topic question, is the 9600xt vmodded in the same fashion as the 9600 pro?

illogical06 said:
hey!!! this is my thread lol....can i get some help too?

Off topic question, is the 9600xt vmodded in the same fashion as the 9600 pro?
Sorry bout that:D

I belive it is but I am not sure.

As for your problem it would be great if you described the error better. My suggestion would be to re-install your chipset drivers and try the latest Catalyst driver available

Last edited by a moderator:
Jbierm44, pls go back to your thread, i also need help and would like to recieve it. I'm not tryin to be rude, im simply asking.
-Well i installed the omega drivers properly this time, so now i wonder what method is there to tell my gpu temperature? The ati control panel was able to do it..so y not radlink? And also, should i have installed with fast write option ON? And lastly, do u vmod the 9600xt the exact same way as the 9600 pro? If not then where/how can i learn to do it? Thanx

Last edited:
I used the latest Omegas for my 9600XT, installed with FW off, and normal drivers. Will ramsinks and stock cooling, i was able to get up to 618/360 ish with these drivers.

If you still have driver issues, maybe you should run a driver cleaner a few times, then re-install the omegas. Always worked for me.

No i dont have driver issues anymore, and i installed it in the same manner as u did seabee. Unfortunately as of now i have only stock cooling until i get the arctic cool vga silencer 2 on my XT. I'm wondering how to check the temps tho..do u know??? What about vmoding the xt, how does that work? Same as 9600 pro? And where exactly am i able to disable the temporal Anti-aliasing in radlink? Thx

note:awesome oc!! (mine: 620: 351,cant raise mem speed without artifacts, goin to test with half life 2)

Last edited:
I just split off JBierm's discussion to THIS thread. Let's keep seperate problems in seperate threads, shall we? :)

Editing complete. Any posts not here are in the thread linked above, and the other half of Sen's comments (which pertained to JBierm's problem) is there as well.

JigPu

Last edited:
illogical06 said:
I'm wondering how to check the temps tho..do u know???
Sadly you cant, 9600 doesnt have a thermal diode as far as I recall. :( As for the voltmodding Im pretty sure its the same. You might get more responses if you started a thread in the volt modding section.

Back