• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Threadripper 2920X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ophellos

hey guys,

I am brand new to overclocking and know very little. First time having a good build so figured i would give OC a try. I wanted to know some tips on how to tweak and things to look out for. i understand little and not too good with the voltages and OCing things such as CPU and RAM. Is it worth even OCing this cpu? here is my build list below.

BUILD LIST
CPU - Threadripper 2920X
GPU - GTX 1080TI 11GB
MXB -ROG ZENITH EXTREME
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz (2 sticks 8G) 16GB
Cooling - Dual fluid loop w/ two 480MM rads ( 1 rad per loop)

On idle, my cpu temp is 26-28C. Under a quick stock load on 3DMARK and Cinebench I had 48C

hey guys,

I am brand new to overclocking and know very little. First time having a good build so figured i would give OC a try. I wanted to know some tips on how to tweak and things to look out for. i understand little and not too good with the voltages and OCing things such as CPU and RAM. Is it worth even OCing this cpu? here is my build list below.

BUILD LIST
CPU - Threadripper 2920X
GPU - GTX 1080TI 11GB
MXB -ROG ZENITH EXTREME
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz (2 sticks 8G) 16GB
Cooling - Dual fluid loop w/ two 480MM rads ( 1 rad per loop)

On idle, my cpu temp is 26-28C. Under a quick stock load on 3DMARK and Cinebench I had 48C

In my opinion, no. You will find that most of the overclocking has already been done at the factory and there will be very little headroom for getting more out of it. That's the way it is with the newer generation of higher end CPUs, both Intel and AMD. You would probably be able to squeeze a little more out of it with top end aftermarket cooling and a high end motherboard but is the expense and the fight worth it?

We were discussing just last week in a thread on this form why there is so little activity on the forum anymore and the consensus was that it's because there just isn't very much to gain these days from overclocking.

Trents does raise some good points but you already have the cooling and motherboard taken care of can't get much better than the Extreme for that CPU.
Before you start overclocking I would look at that RAM. You have 2 sticks of Corsair 3600 MHz which IMO isn't really suitable for that platform and are likely going to be nothing but a headache. You should be looking at something in the 3200 MHz range that is made for the AMD ecosystem. One other thing you do realize that the TR platform is quad-channel RAM? Meaning you should have 4 sticks in the right slots. If it were my system I would get 2 sets of these https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232530

Back