• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 2k and 2 or more displays?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I just want to get a quick scope from people who do this.. on how to. I have a 9800pro > XT that i dont feel like upgrading for a while. its perfectly good for everything in do *runs a little slow in nfsu2 in 1280x1024... oh no* but it only has outputs for two displays.

I have two Samsung 712N displays on my desk right now, and as awsome as it is to have this much desktop space... its contagious and addictive. all my friends are getting the multi display thing going for them, but im finding that even with 2580x1024 desktop realestate, i want more. and im not sure how to go about it.

So, if i went and added a pci video card, im curious as to how it would work under win2k to designate an additional one or two monitors. does it appaear in the monitor properties and on the dropdown box that tells you whats connected to what? Additionally, how are these additional displays dealt with? are they fully accellerated secondaries? It would be awsome if i could play games on my secondary monitor. it will only let me do that on the primary =\

I wanted to ask this befor ebecuse im kind of unsure what dfi dual express technology really is... if its what i think it is, you can do the same thing on a pci bus pc with a second gpu ne?

bleh.. ust have more desktop space. i can just see my one year from now.. lazyboy in front of my desk.. which wouldnt even be a desk anymore. it would be a hold down for this huge bracket that has like 8 lcds bolted to it... yea... well. im messy when i get making stuff. music, web sites or art, i do it all at once, and all while sitting in prontera in ro ha ha.

add a PCI card - prereferably an ATI card ot avoid drive conflicts - once installed it should show up in your display properties as display 3 /4 pending how many outputs it has on it :D

should be as simple as that!

the displays on the PCI cards would not be for gaming as it would run from the card on the PCI bus.

well... maybe not NEW games, but i cant really see any reason it wouldnt be able to run like ragnarok online that is designed to be able to RUN on voodoo 3 cards. Basicly, i want flexability in my desktop space really. the ability to move a program to any display i wish and have it work.
For divx or any other kind of media this is fine.. secondary doesnt care. I tested this by running a fullscreen divx 5 movie with a 1.4mbit stream while playing UT on my primary and itwas ok, but my second display would lag if the game was in focus, and vice versa.

Would the DXG on dfi boards help with this? being able to run two x8 graphics streams? then again i guess im still limited to having two primary and two secondary then. bleh.

Back