• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 or 800xtpe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnm

is it worth upgrading to a 800pe.it will be used mostly on ut online at low res (cant see quick enough at 1280x1024).present pc NEO2 @ 2700 9800@ 455 400 water coolled +2 120 fan close to 9800.when i went from 9700np to 9800pro i didnt see much of a increase till i went to the 939 platform.like to keep present set up for 6+months.sli is to much money at present time to switch.Thanks for any adivise John

need speed

i only care about more speed.i cant see bots in large maps unless i use low res.i have the detail set high no eye candy used.i dont expect more fps.i need quicker and more firepower.

ok thats what i thought youd meant but wasnt sure.

maybe you just need a bigger monitor so the higher resolutions dont make everything look so small. or why not just drop your resolution to 1024x768 and make them bigger and faster if you only care about speed.

to run 1024*768 with max AA & AF with all details and absolutely no slowdown I vote yes get a better VC, but X800PE is overkill, a X800XL will work perfectly, i have one and can run everything all maxed out with max AA & AF absolutely no slowdown, even in heavy vertex intensive areas like smoke and fire.

WHy spend so much money on a vid card when you only intend to keep it for 6 months?

Unless you got Sentential's wallet............. :)

I would suggest a new monitor before new hardware, they are a much better investment. You can get a 21" monitor for $300+ shipping and use it for years, compared to getting a $500 video card and throwing it out after 6 months. As far as cards go, higher resolution makes things MORE clear, not less. I run as many games as possible at 2048x1536 or 1600x1200 on my monitor. Only text gets smaller, objects stay the same size but are less blocky.

My recommendation will be a 19 inch monitor. I tried playing games on my friend's 21 inch monitor, to me its just too big because we are sitting too close to the monitor already. But we all know thats a matter of preference.

Either get a better monitor first, or get some better glasses.I NEED BOTH, my 19 kds trinton has seen beter days colors are faded poor contrast and brightnes controls.Both my 17 monitors are better but to small on large maps thanks everyone for the help

Back