• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a LAN Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YoMatta

OK, I'm looking for a nice case to be toating around. I like the LanBoy idea, but am wondering if there is a light case to be had for <$80. I don't mind doing some light mod'ing, and I have contemplated WC eventually but Air will be the initial solution.

Thanks in advance!

i would consider looking for an all aluminum case. the antec superlanboy is ok, but it is still kind of big to be hauling around to lan parties. you could always try a sff pc

sff pc? what exactly is this? got any links? i'm totally fine with all aluminum, this is why i'm looking for guidance on my options before purchasing anything :)

SFF is small form factor, which is much smaller than a standard PC. If you can do it, I like the idea of a Super Lan Boy setup, and they can be found for much less than $80 at times.

ah, yes, i don't think im' interested in those, so i'll probably still be sticking wtih the LanBoy due to its weight. and it's potential to WC at the same time (gotta love the 120mm slots!)

thanks all!

the only problem w/ the lanboy is that it gets scratched up really easily. other than that, its pretty light, but dont expect it to be light after you put all your watercooling in it. mines weighs about 15lbs now, and thats w/ minimal everything

AZNBoiOnFIYA said:
the only problem w/ the lanboy is that it gets scratched up really easily. other than that, its pretty light, but dont expect it to be light after you put all your watercooling in it. mines weighs about 15lbs now, and thats w/ minimal everything
Still light compared to say, my stacker filled with water. Only thing I worry about with Superlanbuy, besides scratching, is the window breaking, but I don't know if this is a justified fear.

Silverstreak said:
If you're worried about the window breaking you are prolly handling it wrong lol...

LoL, true. (Welcome to the forums Silverstreak)

I like the Lanboy, it sometimes gets a bad rap, but I think its a great looking case. It's light to. They also make a carrying strap for it, I forget where I seen it though, actually I think it comes with one.

most lan boy's that i've seen come with the carrying strap, which is most definitley a nifty idea. and yes, i understand that the water will add weight, but it's still better to start with a lower base weight to make a lighter overall rig. i will definitely post pics, but with finances the way they are currently it may take a bit. i did just purchase a new 19" lcd to dual with my main rig, which will also be my monitor for a lan rig if i get one up and running, so a significant amount of the cost is out of the way already :).

thanks again for everyones help, if anyone thinks of light aluminum cases please post them, i'm fine with going a bit heavier than the lan boy, just don't want to break my back carrying a case. plus, i'm always seeing those deals in the cyberware section for $1x and $2x cases, which would help out with the cost a great deal!

imo, the strap that comes with the Super Lanboy stinks. It's probably not bad if your computer isn't very heavy. But with all my equipment in my computer, my computer weighs a ton. I would say it's around 20lbs or more.

The reason why i say the strap stinks, is because when you lift a computer this heavy with those straps, there is no support crossbar between the two straps around the computer, so when you lift it, the straps begin to come together because they're only attached through the handle.

One of my friend's bought their own case strap and it's much better than mine. It has a metal crossbar which prevents this from happening. For heavier cases, this crossbar would be much more useful.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot about the Super Lanboy. It's a small case and you may have a tough time fitting watercooling in there. The window also seems pretty strong, It's about a centimeter thick and can bend if pressure is placed on it, but it doesn't feel like it would break.

super lanboy big???? pffffft i own one and they are light and fairly small. dont be a girl i know people that carry Coolermaster stackers to lanpartys

Here is my opinion on my super lanboy.....

Its light as hell, unloaded i am sure it weighs under 2 ounces. You might have a difficult watercooling it, I found it a pain in the ***. I had to remove the harddrive rack, which required drilling out the rivets, and it lost a LOT of support without the side panels on the case is flimsy as hell. It was also quite difficult to route the waterlines since its very cramped inside, took me three times to figure it out so i could actually stick my hand in the case without troubles. The case also gets scatches and dings very easy. And the side window, now bulges out like a dome. The carrying strap is a peice of crap, it has no back/front support, so the case could just slide out of the back.

If you want a case for lans, i full out recommend it, however i dont recommend watercooling it, as it brings the weight just back up there. Mine weighs probably pretty close to 40 pounds.

I picked up a Super LANBOY at COMPUSA a few weeks ago. ($40 after MIR!) It is flimsy but overall I like it - especially the two 120mm fans and the hard disks turned 90 degrees to get the cables out of the way. (Every case should mount hard drives like this so I'm going to mod my Lian Li that way).

The stupid little tools drawer sticks, though (noticed that with the demo unit in the store and mine jams, too). Don't like a cover over the drives, so removed it. (Don't want a DVDR or CD-R to eject and jam against a door!) Also, there's no speaker!

Counting the power supply it has two exhaust fans but only one intake. I'm thinking of adding an 80mm intake fan to the plexiglass side panel to blow on the CPU. That should even out air flow.
I hope the panel is strong enough!

Haven't tried the carrying strap yet.

Recommended!

I wubs my Super Lanboy. Looks great... especially after you remove that stupid plastic fan guard up front and put a real fan grill on it... I've got one of the tribal ones from here . Great cooling too, nice and light, even with 4 hard drives stuffed into it. Drive rails rock. You also get a free strap thrown in. It does scratch pretty easily tho.

I got it because I needed a case locally *right then* - my K8VSE A64 Combo was already on the way and CompUSSR is the only place around here with nice (i.e. not cheap $40 gaudy cases).

Back