• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

939 newcastle ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, its a Newcastle core with 512K L2 cache native. There are also 939 Clawhammer A64's with half the cache disabled, but that isn't one of those.

Hmmm....if you're a betting man, then I'd say go for the Winchester...some of these hit 2.7-2.8 on air, but, the ones that don't usually do not even hit 2.6, and others don't even hit 2.5GHz. The Newcastle, on the other hand, is a safe bet for the mid 2.6 gig range, but 2.7 is very unlikely. They are much more consistent than the Winchesters. Of course, Venice should prove to be a significantly better than either.

from what we've seen at XS, venice will rule. just be patient. Most NCs top out around 2.6 (I got lucky and can hit 2651 MHz easy, higher is unstable but still doable), and winnies are all over the place. in order from best to worst, its venice, clawhammer, then either a winnie or a newcastle, it just depends on the week.

Processor is actually for my roomate who already ordered the rest of the components and is chomping at the bit for a new machine (upgrading from a 300mhz g3 mac). He will wait till the 4th or possibly a bit later, but definetly not 2 weeks longer than that.

I guess if there is no venice next week, I might advice him to try his luck at winchester.

Back