• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clear Case pics inside, need help find some matching accessories

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

OK a buddy of mine just bought a new Acrylic case. Totally clear with and I am not not kidding 5x blue led 80mm fans included in the rig. It is rather neat, we just finished putting it together. However

Ack the plain old metal CD rom drive just looks out of place and the bland plain old power supply just looks out of place.

I bought a PSU cover with windows at Vibe a long time ago, but I don't see them still on their site.

Is there any kind of CD Rom cover you can buy.

He is going to need some sort of cool fan controller as having a total of 6 80mm fans running WOT 24/7 in his room is just a bit obnoxious as well. He would like an LCD Temp display as well as integral fan controller.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. this is pretty much what he bought, except his has 2x side fans rather than 1.

yhst-24067115789173_1860_18048739

I don't think anyone ever did clear CD-ROM or other optical drives for that matter. I doubt there'd be a decent looking clear drive anyway since there has to be some shielding from the laser. If you are careful you may be able to construct your own clear CD-ROM body.

They did have clear HD before. Quantum Bigfoot drives were shipped with clear top but I don't think anyone's made any since then.

A while ago one of our members did a write up on how to replace the top of a hard drive with acrylic. I believe I have also seen cd-roms get a similar treatment. If I recall they could not get the sides because the acrylic was thicker and would not fit in the bay, but they did get the top, bottom and face replaced.

I wouldn't recommend the HD mod if you value any data or if the HD is still under warranty. It's almost impossible to have a true dust free enviroment at home and even just one stray speck of dust can ruin a good HD.

So basically HD mod is at your own risk. CD-ROM mod should be easy to do by yourself though. Just make sure there's some kind of shield over the laser assembly.

Maybe paint or chrome on the internals. I think that would look better. Everytime I see those clear cases, I think of the transluscent telephones that were big in the mid-80's. You see all the electronic components, and it really doesn't keep its novelty for long.

Back