• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CrossFire compatible boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkside1016

I need opinions on a CrossFire system, I currently allready have a BBA ATI Radeon X800Pro 256MB, and I would like to boost my video performance, where can I buy a Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition card and what is the list of CrossFire ready motherboards?

The only crossfire mobos that I know of are from saphire but others are comming. At the moment you can't buy crossfire cards anywhere although I know a UK site where you can pre-order the gecube x800xl and x850xt master cards.

14x Anti-Aliasing

It's no wonder no one posting...as far as I know...and fact has proved, ATI > nVidia for the last 2 years, and I'm betting that CrossFire is better than SLI, it seems like it is too. I mean comon...14x Anti-Aliasing? Thats enough to take out the blockyness in Doom 1. :drool:

Oh yeah, and if you plan on using your current rig with your new mobo, you may need to upgrade your CPU. I don't think they plan on making a socket 754 CrossFire chipset.

"ATI > nVidia for the last 2 years, "

correct me if im wrong but doesnt that say that nvidia has been better then ati for the last 2 years

Ati > nVidia....

Bigger side > smaller side.

And.. what exactly do you mean by that anyway? nVidia has a very strong offering in most price ranges.

cooper15 said:
"ATI > nVidia for the last 2 years, "

correct me if im wrong but doesnt that say that nvidia has been better then ati for the last 2 years

then let me correct you :p

"ATi > nVidia" = ATi is greater than nVidia :p

darkside1016 said:
It's no wonder no one posting...as far as I know...and fact has proved, ATI > nVidia for the last 2 years, and I'm betting that CrossFire is better than SLI, it seems like it is too. I mean comon...14x Anti-Aliasing? Thats enough to take out the blockyness in Doom 1. :drool:

You're 'betting' it's better? Why?. And nVidia can do 16xAA btw ;)

Violator said:
You're 'betting' it's better? Why?. And nVidia can do 16xAA btw ;)

Yes, but NV's 16x is much slower (I believe). I am fairly sure that one card renders the scene alone at that setting with 8x AA, and the other card just applies another layer of Anti-Alaising.

Last edited:
What is the difference between ATI’s CrossFire platform and the competitor’s solution?

A. The principal differences between the competitor’s multi-GPU solutions and ATI’s CrossFire are:

• CrossFire can enable multi-GPU rendering on all applications.
  • CrossFire supports more rendering modes. Supertiling evenly distributes the workload between the two GPUs to improve performance. CrossFire can use multiple GPUs to improve image quality rather than performance with Super antialiasing (AA) modes. Supertiling and SuperAA modes are only supported on the CrossFire platform.
  • CrossFire is an open platform that supports multiple components and graphics cards that can be mixed and matched in a single system. Competitive multi-GPU solutions are constrained to supporting identical graphics cards.

unless the price comes down, crossfire will only be available to folks with a lot of money. If the ZZF price for a mb is an indicator, this will not be used by the masses.

I'm going with the LANParty UT RD480, when it's released, I'll grab a R580 with it and wait a little before getting the CrossFire card as to save money, If it IS not going to be used by the masses, that means I will be of the select few to have one. Which makes me unique. Yessss.

Here it is gentleman if you have not already read it in the other threads, Ati updated their FAQ, and yes CrossFire will work on i955 chipsets with dual PCI-E graphics slots. Boooooooyahhhhh!

I still don't see any "purchaseable" links for dual pci-e on a radeon chipset...but I've seen a few mobos that are coming out...just none to buy yet.

Back