• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't get distilled water, other options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoomelon

Hey all.
Just got my new water setup and cannot locate distilled water locally anywhere.
My chemist only has purified water.

Google's definition of purified water is:

"Purified water can come from any source, including spring water, well water, sea water, or municipal water. This source water is then processed by reverse osmosis or de-ionization to produce a water that is indistinguishable from distilled water from any other source. Purified water contains zero dissolved solids."

Is this the same stuff?
Can i use it along with my Waterwetter?

Thanks.
:)

Any grocery store carries distilled watter . opps did'nt see you were in ireland sorry if I was no help. Good luck

Last edited:
You can't find distilled water?!?! You can buy it by the ton here at any grocery store... you have check grocery stores right?

ahhh, just noticed you're Irish. Well I won't help YOU anymore!

LMFAO!!! JK i'd keep looking, you don't wanna mess anything up!

Hmm, I didn't think of looking in the most obvious location.

But i had a brain storm.
I have a Brita water filter that filters out impurities such as chlorine, lead, copper, mercury, giardia, fluorides and much more.

I was thinking of running the water through the filter a few times, that should be perfect, shouldn't it?

EDIT: mdameron, you have that note about 56k warnings the wrong way round! :D

Purified water will work but it still has impurities in it compaired to Distilled water (even after running it through a Britta system). Problem is that even Distilled water will get their impurities after running it through your water cooling system.

If you cant find any distilled water, then run purified water with some antifreeze (5-10%) to prevent corrosion.

I run pure distilled water because I dislike antifreeze and it does drop your cooling effeciency (slightly). Then again I can run down to the super market and get a gallon of Distilled water for about a $1. Just simpler for me.

purified water should be ok, just make sure you put in an anti corroresion and anti algae agent in

thegreek said:
can't you just boil some water and use that?

thats all distilled water really is. They boil water, trap the steam and then cool the steam so that it condenses into liquid which is then stored in a clean container. You can probably do that in your own home just by doing what thegreek suggested and trapping the steam.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I might be able to get some distilled water quite easily, I know a guy who's father is a fire-fighter and they use distilled water in the engine's batteries.

But I have a feeling that i'd be better off using purified water, as that distilled water could well be contaminated.

Do I really need an anti-corrosive fluid aswell if I were to use purified water?
I don't want to use anti-freeze for performance reasons, even though it makes only a slight difference.

All I want to use is WaterWetter Anti Algae Fluid (came with my Waterchill kit) and purified water.

Is there anything wrong with that?

I used drinking water last time I filled my system. I was too lazy to go out and buy a jug of distilled. It's been about 3 months, no problems yet! Please note: this is not a good idea or reccomended.

distilled water is just a boil water, if you have time at home then boiling water and use it if you can't find it local

Try halfords or some other afterparts car centre
as you said your self, it used for topping up batteries.
My EX used it in her Steam iron so it would clog up with limescale
Im shore she got it from the local suppermarket, Asda, Safeway or Tesco

no its not just boild its distilled like when you see the old westons films with the copper coil pipe for making moonshine, well thats one way or making a Distillery :beer: :)

distilled water is a pure H20 as your going to get

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled

Borgy

Last edited:
I think that if the purified water you get from your chemist you should be fine. They need the water to have as little impurities as possible since they can change change the output of chemical reactions.

Well Karl, i decided to go with your advice.
This is what I got from my pharmacy, he told me that it was free from bacteria and other impurities:

Purified water:

water2.jpg

water1.jpg

The WaterWetter Anti-Algae fluid:
water3.jpg

I think that should be fine too.

There's about 800ml in it for €1.50.

Last edited:
Yes that water is fine... it looks like it should be as free from solids/minerals as you can get as far as i can tell.

Back