• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling I want to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/228/

ok the only bad this is the fan and the price tag but believe me thats quite acceptable in the UK! anyway I will have the money

There is still one thing bugging me though
de ionised distilled water. when for any reasonwater should leak from the system will my I short circuit of just have a wet mess, cause I heard de ionised water does not conduct (especially with 12V).

did anyone have some major leakage here?:D

Alot of people say that since de-ionize water has no ions it will rip ions out of your wc setup to get them... I was curious about this myself. If there are no ions then the water is neutral, why would it attract ions? Surely there is the polarity of water but it will only dissolve ionic compounds... If anyone knows why de-ionized water is bad for watercooling, speak up please.

Well, de-ionized water shouldn't conduct electricity at all but people here tend to think that it is hard on your WC components.

Nanidin said:
Well, de-ionized water shouldn't conduct electricity at all but people here tend to think that it is hard on your WC components.

It pulls the electrons out or somthing, in the end it becomes ionized so you might as well get normal distilled water anyways.

CrashOveride said:

It pulls the electrons out or somthing, in the end it becomes ionized so you might as well get normal distilled water anyways.

I'm looking for a more detailed description... Any links for this kind of stuff? If you have de-ionized water that cannot move electrons I don't know how it could pull electrons out... de-ionized water is water without ions in it obviously, and ions are atoms with a charge(either have too many or not enough electrons) that want to react with things of the opposite charge... so if you had water with ions in it, the ions would cause more damage... or maybe I have it all wrong.

ok picture this.. water is a solvent right? so take a lil deionized water. drop it on the back of your precious video card. there's salts there, deposits from your fingers maybe, some oils.. not to mention all the metalics there. the water touches them, absorbs them. tada, you no longer have deionized water instead you have a fried video card

cheers

J.

*edit* my solution: NO LEAKS.

J.

Last edited:
Nanidin said:

I'm looking for a more detailed description... Any links for this kind of stuff? If you have de-ionized water that cannot move electrons I don't know how it could pull electrons out... de-ionized water is water without ions in it obviously, and ions are atoms with a charge(either have too many or not enough electrons) that want to react with things of the opposite charge... so if you had water with ions in it, the ions would cause more damage... or maybe I have it all wrong.

Even totally pure water will contain some amount of H+ and OH- ions. I don't know how significant this is in terms of corrosion, but there is certainly the potential for corrosion to begin.

Here's a link that discusses a lot of the relevant issues.

I'm not certain how likely corrosion would be if you completely washed and sterilized your watercooling system, and then flushed it with a few hundred gallons of deionized water before putting it into service. I'd guess you'd be fairly safe. However no one does this.

Most watercooling systems are subject to substantial biological infestation if additives aren't used. An impurity level adequate for biological growth to occur, is certainly adequate for corrosion to occur.

juliendogg said:
ok picture this.. water is a solvent right? so take a lil deionized water. drop it on the back of your precious video card. there's salts there, deposits from your fingers maybe, some oils.. not to mention all the metalics there. the water touches them, absorbs them. tada, you no longer have deionized water instead you have a fried video card

J.

Water is a solvent of ionic compounds... metals aren't ionic, salt is, oil isn't :) So no, I'm sorry, when it rains your car doesn't dissolve :) lol.

i always had the impression that h2O is a very strong bond and that it should take ages for some corrosion to occur, especially with an all copper system. and we are using water wetter which apperantly slows the whole corrosion thing right down even more and kills all BIO things :).

I am pretty sure deionized water is useless sine it will eventually get ionized again.
i did learn some things in chemistry but man did I suck in it

Nanidin said:

Water is a solvent of ionic compounds... metals aren't ionic, salt is, oil isn't :) So no, I'm sorry, when it rains your car doesn't dissolve :) lol.

It sounds like you know some chemistry so...

Sodium metal is not ionic.

What happens when you put a chunk of sodium into your ultra deionized water?

BUMMMMMM dont know

in May of 1946 Dr. Louis Slotin, a Manhattan Project scientist, died of severe radiation sickness caused by plutonium. Slotin was engaged in an experiment called tickling the dragon's tail in which two beryllium-coated plutonium hemispheres were brought together in close proximity. The combined mass of the two hemispheres equaled the critical mass required to initiate a fission chain-reaction; that is, if they touched. The idea was to come as close as possible without touching. Slotin was holding the top hemisphere with his left hand when the screw driver separating them slipped. The room was filled with a blue glow and a massive emission of neutrons.

Slotin immediately pulled the hemispheres apart but still received a fatal dose of radiation. He died nine agonizing days later. His left hand swelled up, developed severe blisters, and gangrene shortly after the incident. Doctors kept it packed in ice rather than amputating it. Slotin was thirty-five at the time of the tragic incident.

its blows big and then catches fire since87...

but seriously since87, sodium doesn't react with water just cause of ions... sodium reacts almost anything with free electrons now that i think about it....

Since87 said:

It sounds like you know some chemistry so...

Sodium metal is not ionic.

What happens when you put a chunk of sodium into your ultra deionized water?

It doesn't matter what kind of water you put the sodium into, the sodium will react with the water.

Na + H20 => NaO + H2 + Heat

Since sodium is anhydrous it reacts with water, but mildly compared to other metals in the same column (? the up and down one) further down. Copper will not react with water, so if the water is pure, no reaction should occur...

Edit: Since copper doesn't "pull" (electron affinity) on molecules as hard as Na does, it isn't strong enough to break the bonds in H20 and therefore cannot provide O2 to react with the copper.... ( 2 Cu + 3 O2 => 2 Cu2O3 )

Last edited:
um no... copper will oxide, therefore pulling oxygens outta the water which is also bad cause you really don't want just hydrogen gas floating around either....

Back