• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DIE

Registered
Hey All,

Has to be about the millionth time being asked, but I looked at the past pages on the forum and didn't find what I wanted.

Currently have a p3 450@558 on an Abit BH6.

Now, I have about 300 dollars to spend on a new setup.

My fan on my geforce fried and its all messed up now. It was about.. i'd say 200 degrees or so, could barely touch it. So the extra cash I have is towards a new 8500.

Anyways.

What should I get?

Debating between Duron 1ghz, or one of the higher Tbirds- 1ghz-1.4ghz.

P3 maybe, or a p4? Kind of broad, but I really don't ahv ea clue.

One of them celeron 850s would be neat for the overclocking experience, but i'm not sure if they have the performance I'm looking for.

All I do on my computer is play Quake 3 Arena and Rocket Arena, Tribes 2, and Unreal. Now with my 558 and Fried geforce gts, when I do show fps, it gets between 40-90 (capped them at 90) on 1024 768 2x2 AA full text, 32 bit colors etc. etc. It averages 50 or 60.

What would I have to get for it to stay up near 150 at the same settings?

Would a celeron 850@ 1000 or 1100 and an ATI radeon 8500 do that?

Or would I have to go all out on a p4 1.5 ghz, get new ram, and a new mobo, which I really do not want to do.

I need your guys expertise!

Thanks-

matt

that would probably be no problem with the Radeon 8500, but i do suggest that you either wait for the northwoods to come out, or go the amd route with a Sis &35 based motherboard and an Athloin XP 1600.....your system will rock for years to come.....

Finally, another Rocket Arena'er in here.

To tell you the truth, On my Athlon system with a Radeon LE I get at least 100FPS in Rocket on Highquality.

So a Celly @ 1.1 with a Radeon 8500 would be blazing fast for all of todays engines.

yeah i would agree with zuck gou :)

a celery 1.1 or 1.2 with the new tualitan core would be a nice overclock project and with the 8500 man it will be a nice quake 3 machine.

too bad the celly tulatin core only works in a handful of computers.

if you have pc 133 ram you could probably but a celly 900 in and crank up the fsb to 133. its a rather cheap investment.

going amd would cost more because you would have to buy all new ram (ddr) plus a new motherboard and a really good heatsink.

i've heard p4's are the best for quake. i think i'll probably buy a p4 northwood for my next box. of course by then northwood might be old news.

Ebola said:
too bad the celly tulatin core only works in a handful of computers.

if you have pc 133 ram you could probably but a celly 900 in and crank up the fsb to 133. its a rather cheap investment.

going amd would cost more because you would have to buy all new ram (ddr) plus a new motherboard and a really good heatsink.

i've heard p4's are the best for quake. i think i'll probably buy a p4 northwood for my next box. of course by then northwood might be old news.

I just suggested the 1.1 because do BH6's have 1/4 PCI? I didnt think they did.

Zuck Gou :) said:

I just suggested the 1.1 because do BH6's have 1/4 PCI? I didnt think they did.

huh, what?

sorry whatever you said made little sense. the tualatin core only works on some of the newer motherboards. most motherboards do not support it. a cu-mine celly 900 or 1000 should work fine.

the bh 6 should have a 1/4 pci on high bus speeds. 117+

Frame retes are mostly dependent on vid card's, not much CPU any more seen benches between AMD 1.4 and AMD 1.0 with same vid and they preformed about the same, an unrelated Question for anyone out thear, for the tualatin's and motherboard support, the newest bios update for my board says added support for cu-mine-T CPU, does that mean I can run a tualatin, I have an Abit VH6-II, and really looking foe a cheap upgrade from my celly 600cC0

Ebola said:

huh, what?

sorry whatever you said made little sense. the tualatin core only works on some of the newer motherboards. most motherboards do not support it. a cu-mine celly 900 or 1000 should work fine.

the bh 6 should have a 1/4 pci on high bus speeds. 117+

The 1.1ghz Celly isnt a Tualatin. 1.2 is the first.

I thought all BX boards never officially supported 133FSB because of the PCI divider (and AGP 1/2)

What I'm saying is that a 1.1ghz Celly isnt a Tualatin, so his board would support it, and not having a 1/4 divider would result in a FSB less than 133, so the higher the chip is to start with, the better.

That make sense? :)

abit bx133-raid

hehe.

i was responding to the fact that -=HN=- Wild9 said tualatin. no one should buy the celly 1.1 it has the same problem as the p3 1100E. it most likely wont hit 133 fsb but the 900 has a good chance.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies!

Still confused a bit.

What is a Tualatin? haha

So far it sounds like the radeon 8500 wouldn't be a bad choice so that's alright.

So would I be alright with an 850 or 900 celeron and have a good chance to get 133fsb? my abit goes from 112-124-133. It's pretty crappy considering what's out there today, but it runs fine now. I seen this fan at this one store on the net that runs at 7800rpm, I think that would do it for the cooling part w/ artic silver stuff.

Or would it be better to get the 1.2 with the tualatin and change mobos, I could always use a mobo that has 4x agp instead of 2x, event hough I didn't think it made much of a diff.

Thanks again

Keep replying- I read them all

One last Question

Comon guys, don't leave me hanging. I had it all on the checkout screen, but then I decided to back out not sure if this was the right thing to get! (and believe me, I don't get the chance to that that everytime since I don't have my own credit card :mad: )

I decided that the celeron was the way to go.

Which is the best to go with?

My BH6 kind of makes the it more limited b/c of the lack of choices for fsb.

On the cpu database it says:

850 > 1094 ~128 fsb
900 > 1191 ~132.3
1gh > 1244 ~124.4
1.1 > 1310 ~119

So, with my abit, with the average tests, I could get 124 out of the 1ghz, which is one of my settings, so it would be perfect if I could get that high.

Or should I take the risk on the 900 and just hope to get 133 out of it?

My system currently runs stable at 124 fbs, I can get it to post 600, but then crashed before windows loads up, not sure if it's my components or if my 450 just can't handle it

After looking at all this stuff, I went to Azzo.com and found these prices:

ASUS slot key: 27
8500 Radeon: 239
Arctic Silver 2: 9
6800rpm Fan: 35
1ghz Celeron: 89

Comes out to be a total of 399 on the nose, and then 423.21 for overnight shipping.

Is that everything that I need? Don't need my radeon, but my geforce stalls everyone 3 minutes now, Im not sure if visiontek is going to do anything b/c the warranty is gone.

Would that be a good selection of components?

Hopefulyl I can get some respones and I can order it tonight and have it going Next week...(newbie at work... multiple mountain dews, few choice words, and hopefully it works)

Thanks again

Matt

The BH6 (or at least my one) does not have a 1/4 on the 133FSB. You do end up overclocking all your components if you go past 100FSB.

In summary:
put the 1.1 or 1.0 Celeron in there with a normal FCPGA slocket

or

put the 1.2 Tualitin (heapin' fastin') Celeron in there with a Tualitin slocket (if they really do exist). Here's the link that everybody keeps posting to that slocket.

Tualitin Slocket

Isn't the Radeon having driver problems?

Last edited:
yes it is but i doubt it will have driver problems for long......also make sure you dont get the oem 8500 which is clocked lower than the retail version....

Back