• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My X850XT PCI-E needs help. It SUCKS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

This is a bone stock Sapphire X850XT PCI-E card sitting in my P180. I can't get the core to go over 533mhz or else it'll have artifacts and hangs my system during 3DMark03. Mem, I can go all the way to 621mhz without any problem.

What can I do beside cooling? I mean, even stock, I should get better result than that right?

Thanks guys.

9mmCensor said:
Volt mods, and beefier cooling. Those are the options.

is the mod the same as the ones on techpowerup for the x800(non pro), xl, x850?

speed bump said:
stare at this picture cmpare those numbers and layout with whats n your card.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/voltmods/112/2

I wouldn't know unless I checked all those out, however unless your are totally sure of what you are doing I wouldn't vmod your card its a good way to be $300+ in very few minutes. Better cooling would probably be a better plan than vmodding.

I'd have no problems with the vmodings or soldering myself :) As I've been working with these tiny components for a long time already. i just want to make sure so I don't go modding the wrong chip :D

I just put arctic ceramic on my x800 last night and managed to get an extra 20mhz out of the core, something to look into that is quick and easy.

looks like your core cant even do stock! 540/590 is stock clocks! I would just leave that card where it is and leave the ram stock. Overclocking wont help with your 3.2GHz p4 cpu bottleneck and vmodding may just kill your expensive card

Overclocker550 said:
looks like your core cant even do stock! 540/590 is stock clocks! I would just leave that card where it is and leave the ram stock. Overclocking wont help with your 3.2GHz p4 cpu bottleneck and vmodding may just kill your expensive card

you mean 540/590 is stock clock for XTPE right, mine is an XT? Can you please elaborate on the CPU being bottleneck and stuff? I don't really understand what you mean.

nkcd said:
you mean 540/590 is stock clock for XTPE right, mine is an XT? Can you please elaborate on the CPU being bottleneck and stuff? I don't really understand what you mean.

With lower resolutions and minimal eye candy turned on your processor is doing most of the work. When this happens, the thing that limits framerates is how fast your processor is (refered to as the bottleneck if your cpu can't keep up with your GPU). I don't think that your 3.2ghz P4 is a real bottleneck however, its not like youre running a willimate P4... I say if you wanna OC the card do it, itll help when you're running it at higher resolutions with the pretty stuff turned on.
Oh, and 540/590 is xtpe clocks like you were saying.

custom90gt said:
With lower resolutions and minimal eye candy turned on your processor is doing most of the work. When this happens, the thing that limits framerates is how fast your processor is (refered to as the bottleneck if your cpu can't keep up with your GPU). I don't think that your 3.2ghz P4 is a real bottleneck however, its not like youre running a willimate P4... I say if you wanna OC the card do it, itll help when you're running it at higher resolutions with the pretty stuff turned on.
Oh, and 540/590 is xtpe clocks like you were saying.

I'm running at 1280x1204 res. How can I turn on the Pretty stuff to tweak the card better? I also use ATI Tray tool to set my fan speed to max. I'll try reseating the stock cooler with some AS5 to see wassup. Hopefully it's just minor thing and not the core that's sux.

right now, I get about 45-50C idle and 70C+ load at 100% fan speed.

don't mind OC550, xt and xtpe are the same... but you should really look into getting better cooling if you are planning to vmod

Edit: that techpowerup article is correct, but check and make sure your PCb is the same as the pics

Welcome to the club. I regret muchly trading my AGP x800 for this peice of crap PCIE x850 XT PE. I get better OCs though. about 585/610

gotcha guys, I'll look into it this week. For some reason, I'm getting a hunch that my Blue system would outperform my red one :dunno:

Cheator said:
Welcome to the club. I regret muchly trading my AGP x800 for this peice of crap PCIE x850 XT PE. I get better OCs though. about 585/610

really? stock on my x850xtpe was 600/620, x850s should/are supposed to clock higher but clock for clock the x800s are faster

bobmanfoo said:
really? stock on my x850xtpe was 600/620, x850s should/are supposed to clock higher but clock for clock the x800s are faster

quit it, you guys are making me super jealous :bang head :p

bobmanfoo said:

My stock clocks for the x850 xt pe is 540/590. Don't know why yours are so high.

Back