• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot drive from a m.2 in a PCI-e adapter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bww794

Registered
Can it be done? I have an Asus PCI-e adapter laying around from a time passed when I was trying to upgrade my boot drive from a SATA II ssd (80gb 320 series 2.5" SSD) to a 960evo m.2. I now have a motherboard that has an Ultra M.2 socket, but I'm thinking about making a media PC for the living room in a uATX case with an FX-6350 I have on hand and the adapter is just collecting dust. I'm trying to determine the best boot drive i can get away with. Doesn't have to be large capacity, as i have a 6tb external drive that all media/games will go on and connect via usb 3.0.

Back when I tried it before, I couldn't get it to work. Not with Samsung Magician migration, nor would Windows recognize it if i was trying to do a fresh install on it. Is there any trick to this or is it a system limitation that prevents it? I know there are PCI-e SSD's, but I don't know if it's different going from m.2>adapter>PCI-e. If it can't, it can't. No biggie.

i think i may have actually answered my own question. it seems like it may have more to do with the motherboard having nvme support. which may very well limit me to SATA III 2.5" SSD if I'm gonna use that cpu.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

blowing up my own post. Actually found a handful of AM3+ mobo's still available on the market that have m.2 slots but it looks like they're just PCI-e 2.0 x 4.

What happens if you slot a 3.0x4 in it? will it just bottleneck?

Back