• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon X800PRO Overclocking fun.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
chris64 said:
thats a dammm suuper card u got there. I would pencil that sucker and shoot for 700. Shouldnt be hard at all.

I have the core volt modded with a VR already. Also a copper 70mm athlon64 heatsink bolted on the core. Main thing holding back is definately cooling.

d94 said:
u talkin to me!? :p

the thing i dont get and im not sure if this is norm or whaaa
butt my card doesnt show any temps

I couldn't see any temps either. Not in ATi tool. They only program that I have run across that would is everest home and I am not sure that it is reading the proper sensor, BUT it does give me a temp.

Alchemy1 said:
I couldn't see any temps either. Not in ATi tool. They only program that I have run across that would is everest home and I am not sure that it is reading the proper sensor, BUT it does give me a temp.

ATI tray tool gives me the temp just fine.

Just tried 555/555, it seemed okay but then it just crashed. I'll see what I can max it out at.

Earlier when I didn't have the memory clocked so high, I got 567 on core before it crashed.

u can tweak the memory timings in ati tool and your memory will overclock amazingly more. Turn the trp to 6 or 7 and ur memory should reach almost 590 or even higher. I gave mine just a little more voltage and it went right up to 625. Thank Gautam for that memory tweak.

I also got a refurb from ATI and it is great. I OC'd to about 575/540 and it is going strong. Im working on OCing other parts of my rig, and will get back to it, but for right now it runs BF2, DOD:Source, and RTW(all settings on high with unit size set to "huge") better than ever.

chris64 said:
u can tweak the memory timings in ati tool and your memory will overclock amazingly more. Turn the trp to 6 or 7 and ur memory should reach almost 590 or even higher. I gave mine just a little more voltage and it went right up to 625. Thank Gautam for that memory tweak.

Just make sure you not taking a hit on your performance - iy might be in the range where this will give you a boost - but you should double check that.
I personally try to go to trp 5 whenever possible. Try lowering your clocks to what you had before and see if you can tighten them to 5 - this would be better performance wise.

TRP 5 is crap on both my X800XT PE, and PRO (now in Chris' hands). I think its only true if you have miserable luck like me and always get junk memory. (530MHz stock on the X800 Pro and 600 on the XT PE). 530MHz mem clock with a 600+ GPU clock gets you barely anything more than 550/530 or so...Tightening the rest of the timings in ATiTool usually give far better net performance increases...for regular cards that is...not those 650MHz+ monsters that you always seem to get your hands on. :D

Gautam said:
TRP 5 is crap on both my X800XT PE, and PRO (now in Chris' hands). I think its only true if you have miserable luck like me and always get junk memory. (530MHz stock on the X800 Pro and 600 on the XT PE). 530MHz mem clock with a 600+ GPU clock gets you barely anything more than 550/530 or so...Tightening the rest of the timings in ATiTool usually give far better net performance increases...for regular cards that is...not those 650MHz+ monsters that you always seem to get your hands on. :D

Yeah - Gautam's point is on the money ( as always ), just wanted to make a point into loking also into other possibilities - often you have to look into more than one direction to find the sweetspot of your card.

Wow, I must say I am in awe of some of the OC results that some of you are getting; particularly those of you who are getting good results from stock cooling!

Now, I am a noob at all this; just got into serious PC gaming optimization in the last week or so as I got a 3800+ 64 x2 with an ASUS A8V Deluxe; I also have this video card but knew that I wasn't getting the most of my setup at all (I have 2 gigs of PC 3200 Corsair ValueSelect).

Now, I am wondering how you are getting the clock speeds that you are. I have read some of the noob FAQs and am running ATITool 0.24 right now.

It's been going for about 40 minutes and has been running at 517.50 core for the past 30 minutes in OC testing :bang head .

Like I said I am a noob at all of this and am just learning the details of OCing in general, although I am picking up very fast.

Would you have any idea why my OC attempt is so pitiful compared to the rest of yours? Any help for a beginning is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Jamaro85 said:
Wow, I must say I am in awe of some of the OC results that some of you are getting; particularly those of you who are getting good results from stock cooling!

Now, I am a noob at all this; just got into serious PC gaming optimization in the last week or so as I got a 3800+ 64 x2 with an ASUS A8V Deluxe; I also have this video card but knew that I wasn't getting the most of my setup at all (I have 2 gigs of PC 3200 Corsair ValueSelect).

Now, I am wondering how you are getting the clock speeds that you are. I have read some of the noob FAQs and am running ATITool 0.24 right now.

It's been going for about 40 minutes and has been running at 517.50 core for the past 30 minutes in OC testing :bang head .

Like I said I am a noob at all of this and am just learning the details of OCing in general, although I am picking up very fast.

Would you have any idea why my OC attempt is so pitiful compared to the rest of yours? Any help for a beginning is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Welcome to the adicting sport of OCing. It looks like you have a nice system on your hands and you should see some good clocks on that processor too. I use ATITool to find the max core and mem speeds on my card and then I run with it at 10-20mhz slower speeds to make sure its golden. 40 mins is enough time to find your max core.

There can be numerous reasons for your core only getting to 517. Things I would check:
Case air flow. If your case is extra hot inside, your card will not oc as good as it can. Try doing it with your side panel off, that may give you an idea if your case flow is limiting your oc.
What kind of power supply do you have? Many times the power supply is the most overlooked component of a system, and can sometimes have a dramatic effect on the clocks you get.
How long have you had the card? It seems my card has "burned in" after a week or so of playing with it and the max core has seemingly gone up since when i first got it.

I was able to get an extra 20mhz out of my core by using arctic ceramique in place of the stock heatsink compound. This may void the warrenty (I'm not sure), so do this at your own risk.

custom90gt said:
Welcome to the adicting sport of OCing. It looks like you have a nice system on your hands and you should see some good clocks on that processor too. I use ATITool to find the max core and mem speeds on my card and then I run with it at 10-20mhz slower speeds to make sure its golden. 40 mins is enough time to find your max core.

There can be numerous reasons for your core only getting to 517. Things I would check:
Case air flow. If your case is extra hot inside, your card will not oc as good as it can. Try doing it with your side panel off, that may give you an idea if your case flow is limiting your oc.
What kind of power supply do you have? Many times the power supply is the most overlooked component of a system, and can sometimes have a dramatic effect on the clocks you get.
How long have you had the card? It seems my card has "burned in" after a week or so of playing with it and the max core has seemingly gone up since when i first got it.

I was able to get an extra 20mhz out of my core by using arctic ceramique in place of the stock heatsink compound. This may void the warrenty (I'm not sure), so do this at your own risk.
Hey man, thanks for the insight. Yeah, I can believe that my PC could be pretty hot inside as I have not yet gotten in any of my fans. All I have is an intake fan in the front (120 mm) that I took off of the back, lol, along with the power supply as an exhaust (120 mm).

I plan to throw another 120 mm fan on the back as exhaust and a 80 mm on the side which will blow directly onto my video card :)

I will definitely try a new OC session with my case off until I can get this additional cooling set up.

I have a 450 watt power supply. You say that this can have a significant impact on potential overclocking; how does this work exactly?

I have had the card for over a month and a half; I was using it in my old P4 2.2, primarily for playing CS Source (although obviously that PC could not anywhere near utilize the potential of this card =P ).

I am relatively new to the whole concept of burning in but I understand it pretty well. A question I have in terms of burning in my video card though: Would burning it in be relative to its use with my mobo, or burning it in in terms of using it at all and getting the clocks running?

I am just happy to know that there is a big potential upside for OCing my card. Although my clock speeds aren't the greatest right now I anticipate that they can only get better. Thanks for your input and I appreciate you clearing up my additional questions in advance.

Jamaro85 said:
I have a 450 watt power supply. You say that this can have a significant impact on potential overclocking; how does this work exactly?

I have had the card for over a month and a half; I was using it in my old P4 2.2, primarily for playing CS Source (although obviously that PC could not anywhere near utilize the potential of this card =P ).

I am relatively new to the whole concept of burning in but I understand it pretty well. A question I have in terms of burning in my video card though: Would burning it in be relative to its use with my mobo, or burning it in in terms of using it at all and getting the clocks running?

I am just happy to know that there is a big potential upside for OCing my card. Although my clock speeds aren't the greatest right now I anticipate that they can only get better. Thanks for your input and I appreciate you clearing up my additional questions in advance.

A good quality power supply will be able to provide more amperage on each rail (12v, 5v, 3.3v...) and will have more stable voltages. This helps us OCers who have our stuff pushed to the max where an unstable voltage could cause a lockup... What brand power supply do you have (matters more than what the "rating" is on the side.

To burn in the GPU, cpu, or even memory, you are supposed to have it overclocked to the max semi stable level and then stress it enough to help it get used to being at that level. However, I did nothing like this with my video card (just playing games off and on at higher clocks), but it seems my card has gotten sweeter as time went on.

Another thing I forgot to mention you might try is setting the fan speeds in ati tool. If you click on settings and then fan control, I changed mine so that at above 65* the fan blows 65% and I also raised the others up a bit. This may help you get some more out of your core.

custom90gt said:
A good quality power supply will be able to provide more amperage on each rail (12v, 5v, 3.3v...) and will have more stable voltages. This helps us OCers who have our stuff pushed to the max where an unstable voltage could cause a lockup... What brand power supply do you have (matters more than what the "rating" is on the side.

To burn in the GPU, cpu, or even memory, you are supposed to have it overclocked to the max semi stable level and then stress it enough to help it get used to being at that level. However, I did nothing like this with my video card (just playing games off and on at higher clocks), but it seems my card has gotten sweeter as time went on.

Another thing I forgot to mention you might try is setting the fan speeds in ati tool. If you click on settings and then fan control, I changed mine so that at above 65* the fan blows 65% and I also raised the others up a bit. This may help you get some more out of your core.
Ah, I understand now. Unfortunately was on a limited budget in the building of this PC so I didn't get all top quality stuff, but I think I did already for my dough.

Anyway, my PSU is a Rosewill Value RV450S 450W; if it helps additional specs on it can be found here.

Thanks for the fan speed setting advice on my card via ATITool; I think that will help a bunch.

Like I said I'm pretty much a noob at all of this so I wouldn't know whether I had an ideal PSU or a POS that won't be able to help push my CPU to its limits.

Back