• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any AGP x800xt's for less than $300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

Is there such an offer? Ive been going through lots of debates about either new rig, car subs, or new burton snowboard :drool: which i think the burton is winning lol. I figure I can hold without going to PCI-E and A64 for another year if i get a new card. So i really dont want to spend over $300 on a card, whats my best bet for a card?

Newegg has a weekend special on the AIW X800XT for $319, but it also comes with a $20 rebate. I just ordered one!

I read at least 10 reviews on it, and they all confirmed that it performs identically to the non-AIW X800XT's. Same R420 core, 256MB, and 16 pipelines.

You missed out big time . About 2 months tigerdirect and zipzoomfly were selling their agp x800 xt for $200-$250. I missed out on the $200 ones but I got mine for $250 and they sold out really quick.

since your sticking with AGP, I'd look for a good deal for a x850 pro (shouldn't be hard to find under 300).
The AGPs have a near 100% (it may actually be 100%) success rate in unlocking to a 16pipe x850XT or XT/PE.

Or a x800xt if you can find a good deal

Codeman05 said:
since your sticking with AGP, I'd look for a good deal for a x850 pro (shouldn't be hard to find under 300).
The AGPs have a near 100% (it may actually be 100%) success rate in unlocking to a 16pipe x850XT or XT/PE.

Or a x800xt if you can find a good deal

Really? I didnt know that, that sounds like a better deal. Even if you dont get the flash, are they as good overclockers as x800pros are?

should be, I'm not gonna guarantee it or anything but I ran something like 560x610 before I flashed it, after the flash I lost a little on the core for some reason, but still got a little over XT/PE speeds, 550x610.

But like I said, the flash is almost guaranteed to work for what I've been reading and my personal experience, just make sure its a VIVO AGP x850 pro. Check the link in my sig, there is the writeup, and a link to a couple more. Having the extra pipes really makes a differance (used to have a x800pro)

I would recommend an aftermarket cooler, they do run a little warm, but my ambient is pretty high right now :(

Last edited:
...I don't mean to contradict you, but I read quite a few posts in this forum about problems people were having with those flashes. It is definitely not 100% successful. I read enough bad feedback to discourage me from trying it. I would suggest getting an XT if you can afford it. Then you already have all 16 pipes.

you sure they were AGP's electric sheep, if so can you post a link? Cause when I searched on this board, there was just people saying no it couldn't be done (which is why I had to look elsewhere)...not a single person had tried. The PCI-X's will not flash, thats guaranteed. I've flashed 3 agp's personally over the last 2 weeks, all worked (mine, my bros, and a co-workers). It's not 100% guaranteed, what is, but I would be shocked if it didn't work.

Jacobman, I would ask here: http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?p=252116#post252116
In addition there is also a few guys on Xtreme Systems that did this mod

Sphere is the expert on the subject. The saphires should flash as well, I think one guy had to "force" the flash, but it ended up working.

If it dosen't work though...for some reason. I was able to get scores higher then a friends comparable system with a x800xt before I flashed my card, so it wouldn't be a total loss

Last edited:
Jacobman said:
I would put on a zalman VF700-CU and some OCZ copper ramsinks.
Just a warning if you care about system cosmetics. I recently bought ramsinks from Microcool, Zalman, OCZ, and FrozenCPU (these are really made by "Nikao").

The fins on the OCZ copper ramsinks slant toward one direction, rather than being straight. All eight that I received suffer from this. I'm sure it doesn't affect performance, but it is quite disappointing that they were not crafted better.

The FrozenCPU copper sinks also suffer from this. I am guessing that it might be difficult to work with thin sheets of copper. FYI, the FrozenCPU sinks are large, and square in size. They're probably not ideal for video card ram chips.

The Microcool and Zalman sinks were well crafted and look very cool. But they are all aluminum.

Codeman05 said:
you sure they were AGP's electric sheep, if so can you post a link?
I think it was this one:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=312063&page=1&pp=30

I remember it was one of the really long threads in the ATI forum, where people were having probs after unlocking the pipes. By the time I got through the entire thread, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble. Especially after I just hosed my original card, which originally cost me $350. I'm all for hardware mods, but video cards are too expensive to keep tampering with. If there's not a big price difference, I would recommend getting one that already has 16 pipes, and just OC that. I just ordered an AIW X800XT (16 pipes) for only 3 bills.

dude, that thread is about the x800pro -> x800xt ;) These are completely different senarios...did a search in that thread and nothing mentions a x850. Those are very hit and miss to mod. I could have told you that, I spend weeks last year trying to get x800pros to mod lol...drove me nuts :haha:

Hey, I don't blame you at all for going for the XT, to each his own. I got this card for $200 and it kills the x800xt PCI-X in my girlfriends rig, so to me it was well worth it. If your willing to give it a shot, I think the odds are well in your favor, and I think you'd be very satisfied

Anyway, I don't want to debate it any further, starting to clutter this thread. The info is out there, just search...and search more then this site. I didn't find out that the flash could be done till 2 weeks after I bought the card, did a random search on google, and found the information on another site. Shoot me a PM or ask away on my sticky, I don't want to clutter up this thread for ya ;)

Last edited:
I've been watching the x850 pros for the past couple days, and they are going for around $230 on ebay. Cheaper than the x800xt, and you'll get a better card if you flash it.

Codeman05 said:
dude, that thread is about the x800pro -> x800xt. These are completely different senarios...did a search in that thread and nothing mentions a x850. Those are very hit and miss to mod. I could have told you that, I spend weeks last year trying to get x800pros to mod lol...drove me nuts
ooooops! Sorry bout that! :beer:
I hate being the source of misinformation!

Just got mine from here for under $300 (AIW flavor):
Buy.com

Check on other hot deals site for additional $15 off!

Next step: overclocking! :D

Back