• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Rendering. What cards? Any types to look for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BatmansHardware

Registered
I have been using a GeForce GTX 750 Ti GGDR5 since near its release because it was cheap and popular and has worked for 3D rendering on Windows 10 with the most common 3D modelling and animation software out there.

However, in recent months I have developed more complex work that required me to upgrade from 16GB of computer memory to 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2133s. I have a M-ATX motherboard with PCI-E X16. Intel B150 chipset. i5-6500 CPU.

I think it might be time for a new GFX card. I do more 3D work than gaming on my PC by far but it doesn't matter to me if it's a gaming card that is recommended.

I don't want to spend high-end money at the same price as the PC itself. Mid-range is fine.

I noticed some software programs allow me to use the card for rendering rather than the CPU.

So if anyone else there is doing lots of stuff like this with 3D files that go over 16GB of memory use and towards the 32GB and know about cards to push those sort of files around on the screen with decreased latency etc., I would like to know.

the number one thing when 3d rendering is get the heck away from windows if you can!!!!!
Rendering in blender, windows can cost me up to 30% in render times on the cpu.
I use the pro duo cards, two chips per card, 16 gigs of ram per chip, beyond 16 gigs I use threadripper.

Back