• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help selecting a gaming motherboard for an i5-7600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aberration

Hey guys... Haven't been on here in so long that my username was expunged. I bet it's been at least 5, maybe 7 years. And yeah, it's been that long since I built my last rig.

So now, I'm running an ASRock Z170 Extreme 6 with an Intel i5-6600k, a Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Evo, and an EVGA 770 GTX SC. I can't remember the memory model off the top of my head other than it's 16gb of G.Skill (it's either Sniper or Ripjaw).

I've got a retired friend who's computer went tits up and is going to buy my current rig above.

I've decided my new CPU will be the i5-7600k, and I'm trying to figure out which board is going to be best for gaming/overclocking. My current setup is O/C to 4.2Ghz on air, which I realize is not stellar by any sense, but it's adequate for my needs. From what I've read, the 7600k should go to 4.5ghz on air without issue.

I've been eyeballing the ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2, but I'm open to suggestions, as I have no brand loyalty. Graphic card will most likely be a EVGA 1060 GTX FTW 6GB...

Thanks in advance for any input!

ID's are not exponged... what was your old ID/email (PM me..)? We may be able to merge. ;)

Really, most any Z270 board is going to be fine for ambient overclocking. Long gone are the days where it mattered, the motherboard, to be honest. Look at features you need, the look you want, and the price you want to afford.

ID's are not exponged... what was your old ID/email (PM me..)? We may be able to merge. ;)

Really, most any Z270 board is going to be fine for ambient overclocking. Long gone are the days where it mattered, the motherboard, to be honest. Look at features you need, the look you want, and the price you want to afford.

Well, that's what's odd... I tried recovering my password, using the 2 e-mail addresses I've used for decades, and neither were found in the system... Honestly, I thought this username was my old one, and when it let me use it, I thought that the old account was expunged. So, we'll just start anew, sadly.

I'd like to keep the price around the $150 range. Wifi/Bluetooth would be great, but not required. No plans on running more than one graphics card.

Glad to know the manufacturers have finally stepped up to make all of this easier for us... but there's still so many choices.

Ah! I know why I can't find it... It was when we were required to have an ISP e-mail address, which I havent had for years.

Found the username... PM incoming.

Back