• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! High Temp, wheres the limit?(X800pro)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomatosaurus[RE

Hello,

I have a very old Sapphire X800pro VIVO that I bought like 1½ year ago. I want some more vid power now, normally I would buy a new vid card but my economical situation isnt the best anymore so I try to overclock instead. The XT PE modd seems intresting :santa:

Okay, so I downloaded ATI tool, to test out...core/mem 519.75/558. And I ran "scan for artifacts" fine for 120 sec no error but then 76 GPU temp and rising!!! so I aborted and I will clock it down befor running any game.

Does ATI tool really show the right temp? How much can the GPU take before crash and/or failure? Does it have a fail-safe like CPU's?

EDIT

Even at stock speed it hits 76 degrees. Tops out at about 78 after 120-150 sec at 519.75/560.25
Is it supposed to have a temerature controlled fan?

Last edited:
yes, the fan is temperature controlled, at 80* i believe it goes up.... but no i believe the x800pro can take up to 85* C.... what's your ambient temp btw?

:welcome: to the forums!!

You are better off having your fan run @ 100% while you are gaming rather than having it temp controlled.

Mine runs at 81C in FEAR. Otherwise its typically mid 70's for most other games. All though stress tests actually test more of the video card then what most games use too, so truely that could be the highest temp the card will ever see using that stress test. I know it causes my card to get quiet hot using that test.

I have my computer set up so when its in a 3D app it ramps up the core/mem. When it isn't in 3D app, it clocks down to 450/450 to keep it cool.

Mines run this way since I got my card back last August.

Core cell says CPU/System is 48/46 while idle. The last number doesnt sound right, I have 2 x 120 mm case fans and the exhaust air is quite cool.

So what im experiencing here is normal here then...too bad I was hoping the card might be defective so I could get a new one on warranty ;)

I didnt realize that the GPU ran this hot. Is it really stable at these temperatures? I have crashes now and then, maybe, due to this...? If so, maybe one should upgrade the cooling.

Back