• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The useful freeware programs thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another freeware that I thought was here already. Startup CPL, great little program, very small. Adds an icon in the control panel called Startup, simply uncheck any app that you don't want to start with windows, like all the auto updaters and other junk that is usually hidden by default and all the extra icons on the taskbar. More usefull in XP but works in all windows. I install this on every computer I work on.

I can think of a million that you have not listed.

FreeArc alpha and peazip are the best yet for compression bar none.
Dimension4 -time sync
Virtuawin w/preview plugin
XLeaner -I like it way better than CC
SeconfigXP -haven't tried it in 7 but works great in xp for hardening your network.
Notepad2-mod
dxIRC
Makagiga -rss reader +
NetSetMan
HalfOpen4.2
TCP optimizer
Password Safe
Double driver
XMPlay
FREAC -free audio converter
Maestro-Metronome
orDrumbox
PitchPerfect
SonicVisualiser -like audacity but more powerful.
CueTools
ImageKlebor -makes a gridwork of pics into a single one perfectly.
ScarabDarkroom -raw camera files
Geosetter -tags pics with coordinates
AviDemux
MediaInfo
xVideoServiceThief
cFontPro
Delete FXP Files -deletes folders that fileassassin & windows can't, even after rebooting.
HStart -hides cmd boxes using a bat file for those progs that need it.
MyDefrag
RenameMaster Free
CtfmonRemover.exe
Console2 -cmd console with tabs
LinuxReader -part of DiskInternals.iso (bootable)
Diffuse -file compare
WSCC -system internals & nirsoft gui that can download & update.
Windows Service Commander
AlpX -exe/dll compressor with a right click
AppCompactor -folder compressor
VistaSwitcher -alt tab
ProcessHacker
PicPick -prtscrn
Tixati -torrents
HWINFO32
Rainmeter
ClipX
AkelPad
Attic1.05 -home inventory
Balabolka -text to speech
PDFXchange viewer
DBeaver -db gui
Stellarium
X-TaskCoach
KeyNote NF
PStart
BorgCalendar
CCCalc
ConvertAll
GraphCalc
HEXelon
ESBCalc.exe
HP42s calc simulator
Mathcast
HilbertII -heavy but likes LyX files
Arasan 12.2 -chess
DiskCryptor
FreeOTFE -on the fly encryption (admin or not)
Flux & RedShiftGui -both adjust screen brightness automatically
TapinRadio v1.35.2 & winamp enhancer plugin -v1.36 broke portability
FreeFileSync
The one I use the most? Palemoon Portable -main browser

Above are ALL portable (in one way or another) & some are crossplatform as well. You will have to excuse me if I did not provide any links. Many of these I use and some I don't such as hilbert which is very powerful and 'slightly' over my head.

Last edited:
Opera
I don't know how they could make the interface any better.

Definitely true! :thup:

I also suggest you add WinDirStat - http://windirstat.info/

Great for de-cluttering. It allows you to visually see the files that take up a whole lot of space and color codes the ones you shouldn't delete. ;)

Edit: Bing beat me to the WinDirStat, but it's good stuff.

There is also Leechcraft, a web browser and more, but I could not get it to work with flash for whatever reason. Opera I simply don't trust after they were bought out by that australian company (read british). Windirstat is like xinorbis I suppose but crippled in comparison (2007?).
I was able to use universal extractor (another great portable) with leechcraft portably just fine as well and installing made no difference.
Med's Movie Manager is also another recommended program over ant anyday.
http://xmm.sourceforge.net/ and yeah it's portable. Too bad windows isn't.
This thread should be renamed to the Useless instead of Usefull.

Last edited:
mount an ftp server as a network drive... with a physical drive letter... supports sftp!! (FREEE!~!~) using it now, got GB connection to my PC from all around campus. secure protection :D great to have remote access to my hard drive when my laptop has a SSD and limited space..

http://www.netdrive.net/

mount an ftp server as a network drive... with a physical drive letter... supports sftp!! (FREEE!~!~) using it now, got GB connection to my PC from all around campus. secure protection :D great to have remote access to my hard drive when my laptop has a SSD and limited space..

http://www.netdrive.net/

I wonder if this would work on a VM on my PC?

Google chrome is useful with its sync options and cloud print for mobile devices.

And advanced system care is a great maintenance program other than the once in a while bother to go pro, but its good and most people end up getting the pro version for its many benefits.

very useful thread for us , we have about a dozen PC's with XP and XP PRO , our collection has grown in the last two weeks.
thanks to craigslist all of them was free, my son and i are learning how to test and repair .

Back