• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The useful freeware programs thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A great file moving tool. Of course it is freeware and simple. :D

Total Copy

Official site(slow and sometimes down)

Features:

- Pause / Resuming : At any time you may pause the copy-prosess, and continue later.
- Auto-pause on any error : If you run out of disk space, the network goes down, or some other error occurs, copying is automatically paused, and you may resume when the error is sorted out.
- Resuming on Power Failure : If the computer is turned off during the copy prosess (ex. power-loss or system-crash), Total Copy lets you resume when you restart.
- Speed limit : Slows down the copy prosess, and frees resources to other tasks.
- Faster than Windows : Copies slightly faster than Windows (approx. 10% locally, and 1% on network)
- Small improvements : Shows copy-speed, a percent-bar and KBytes remaining.
- Does not modify Windows' own copy-function : This program will not alter the existing windows-copy-function.

I'm a fan of Nonags.com. Most of what is listed here is on Nonags. Be mindful, though that to have unlimited access, there is a one time fee (fairly cheap).

List updated with addendum. Added a new overclocking section although I believe that is perhaps akin to preaching to the choir. Also caught a particularly egregious error (here/hear).

Last edited:
List updated with suggestion and addendum. I would create a section for displays but I can only think of one other program which has any use for testing displays. Display calibration software is a possibility, but nVidia driver's already includes a calibration wizard and in principal the ATi and Intel drivers contain all the controls you would need to calibrate a display. Truthfully software based calibration is pretty much worthless without the proper calibration hardware to accompany it.

Filseclab for firewall
AVAST1! for AV

DVD Shrink to rip and make full ISO's of DVD's

nlite - allows you to merge updates and hotfixes and all kinds of other stuff to make your own personalized windows install cd

lavasoft adaware - ad/spyware remover
spybot search&destroy -ad/spyware remover, also has built in ability to protect your hosts file, and even edit your hosts file with a special include file to protect your computer for thousands of websites/spamware/adware/spyware sites.

pdf creator - plugin for windows that allows you to 'print' any document to a virtual printer that in turn, creates a PDF file.

tunexp - i never install windows xp/2k without it. allows you to tweak all kinds of settings, and allows you to defrag/rearrange boot files for faster boot.

Safe XP

Safe XP allows users to quickly tweak various security and privacy related settings in XP. The options include Media Player settings, Services settings (error reporting, time synch, remote registry etc.), as well as and option to remove items from the Start menu, network security settings and more.
Safe XP improves your system performance and makes Windows to run faster, more secure and reliable!
It is suitable for beginners and experts!

http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm

http://free-backup.info/justzipit.html <---- Just ZIP it ( Compression ZIP )

List updated with addendum and suggestions. I know there is more good freeware out there!

notes:

The list is starting to get fat. I don't have time to test all the programs and hence I can't really make an authorative recommendation on which AV or personal firewall program to use. I'd like more people to give feedback on programs they particularly like or dislike. I can see that the Anti-Virus, Audio/Video player and Personal Firewall categories are going to need some sort of trim down in the future.

TollhouseFrank: I did not include the following suggestions:

• DVD Shrink
    Reason: Already on the list.

• TuneXP
    Reason: While there are some tweaks that marginally improve system performance it is my experience that most of these are either phased out or make little difference in the operating of the system. In some cases, particularly clearing the page file at shutdown, it can actually slow down the system. See [URL="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization]this[/URL] for further information.

UnseenMenace: I did not include the following suggestions:

• Foxit PDF Reader
    Reason: Already on the list.

• Just ZIP It!
    Reason: I felt that it would be an unnecessary addition. Both the other program you listed and 7zip already have all the functionality of this program so far as I can tell. If you feel it is particularly useful for one reason or another, please elaborate and I will add it to the list.

HandBrake is the dvd ripping/encoding program of choice. It does everything on the fly. The Windows form is still in beta, but you can use it still. It simply needs to be paired with a CSS Decryptor, like DVD43. Heartily recommend it! Easiest way to put video onto your Ipod.

eli said:
HandBrake is the dvd ripping/encoding program of choice. It does everything on the fly. The Windows form is still in beta, but you can use it still. It simply needs to be paired with a CSS Decryptor, like DVD43. Heartily recommend it! Easiest way to put video onto your Ipod.

What does it decode the dvd to? Divx?

stratcatprowlin said:
What does it decode the dvd to? Divx?

Xvid, FFmeg (Mpeg4) and x264 codecs can be used. I really like the program, even though it is in beta for Windows. For the Mac, it just rocks.

Back