• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best situation for school

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so im looking into laptops. The things im wondering right now, is what specific one. I know this a general question, but im not just looking at what company, but also what type?

Basically, its going to be for school use, with some internet, chatting, artwork, and the occasional game/rom (very low amounts of that)

I was looking at the Apple laptops, but im not sure if that would be suitable. Going to be doing java programming, btw, so I know that would be compatible. Just not sure.

So, I guess the first question is, what type would be good? Apple or Windows based?

Ibm thinkpad t43 is nice ^_^ Well check the program you're in -- either one should work... but windows would probably be a better idea for software support n stuff.

What kind of games? Give us a listing of the ones you want to play. BTW Macs make great laptops,but I have no idea on the programming side of things. Most I can do is basic HTML.

Basically, small games. Really just snes games (cause I need to concentrait on school, and thats the main purpose of the laptop. If I want to play games, I have a desktop)

Then you shouldn't really need anything to powerful. Wait until theirs a sale on a laptops( fyi black friday is coming up so this would be a good time) and get the one that has what you want storage wise. It will be cheaper to upgrade it later anyway if the performance isn't where you want it to be.

Last edited:
EvilCloudStrife said:
"Dude! Get a Dell!!"
-The Dell Dude

I am alittle bit leery of Dell's. My brother had a huge hassle with them, that involved getting charged more then once, having items lost in shipment, and having bank accounts go into debt because of Dell.

Apple's are very nice.

I haven't played with xCode yet, but I hear its sweet.

Macs have the benifit of the BSD + Linux environments to code in (pcs can do it too).

I would get a Mac. They are great little machines (iBooks).

Or i would get an older 1ghz or less IBM notebook, and run linux and a striped down xp install.

Battery and portability are more useful than power.

if you do get a windows based laptop my only reccomendation for you is that it be pentium-m based... (centrino) anything else is a waste of silicon...

the ratio of apples - pc's in my school is amazingly about 50-50. there are only 3 tables with power outlets in the commons so I have gotten to know many laptop users. apples are ok in my opinion but if your serious about a feild in the computer industry... don't get an apple... (there are some exceptions but very rare ones)

are you a programming major?

remember that Macs are very closely linked to the NeXT environment, which was a pimpin coding environment. and lots of what was good in NeXT was implemented in OS X.

Well you know what programs you need to use for your classes, see if there is an OSX version of that software.

Found a G3 800MHz on ebay (guy has 213 positive reviews)

o PowerPC G3 800 MHz processor
o 12” Active Matrix LCD Display (great condition)
o 256 MB of RAM
o 30 GB Hard Drive
o CD- DRIVE
o Airport
o MAC OS X 10.3.7
o Firewire Interface
o 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet Interface
o 56K V.92 Modem
o 2 USB Ports
o Rechargeable battery (holds charge) no guarantee on life of battery
o Power Adapter

Just looking, that would probably be more then enough for what I need. And its only $475 + $30 Shipping. Seem good?

Sounds good. The only things I would change would be to add some ram and a Wi-Fi card. Unless thats what airport is.

9mmCensor said:
Look into the Education discount on iBooks.

Thank you, I will look at that now

Addition: Not a bad find, but it only takes off $50 from the price. I cant afford those priced laptops, and its still more then I really need for just school things.

Midnight Dream said:
Airport = Wifi, and I plan on getting alittle more ram, after I would recoup from the cost of that. Contacted the seller to ask a few questions.
depending on use a G3 battery if it was the original should be nearing the end of its useful life.

Back