• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A SIMPLE HARD DRIVE SELECTOR:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moto7451 said:
Heres another idea I saw on The Screensavers. Make a circuit that just selects which drive is master and which one is slave by using a switch. That way you can use all your drives and it doesn't have any real effect on the system if you switch it during operation.

Its essentially a switchable jumper. If you wanted to keep it really simple, just have two DPDTs per HD and configure the jumpers that way.

yup, that will work too.. there's actually alot of configuration that can be made basing on the user needs... relays might come handy in other configurations...

I see the point for the switch,but Why noy just use a removeable drive tray to protect your data from the kids ?

diehrd said:
I see the point for the switch,but Why noy just use a removeable drive tray to protect your data from the kids ?

i don't like the idea of using removable trays because :
1. of the risk of dropping and damaging the drives..
2. i got to buy 4 trays at least...

my kids are not actually that bad...but if a worse scenario comes, then i can just install the switch/switches inside a LOCKBOX.... :)

Jojo1971 said:
i don't like the idea of using removable trays because :
1. of the risk of dropping and damaging the drives..
2. i got to buy 4 trays at least...

my kids are not actually that bad...but if a worse scenario comes, then i can just install the switch/switches inside a LOCKBOX.... :)

I doubt you will drop them but even with that idea you are not compelled to remove the tray just un-lock it with a key to prevent it from being used and leave it in the system .. Seriously a removable drive is a very good solution I found for lots of reasons besides data security..

I am able to recover data from an O/S faliure with removable trays,,Or even recover an entire drives files by placing it in the removable tray..I found it extreamly usefull and safe . . . .

Jojo1971 said:

If you had me as a kid you'd never let that thing within 5 miles of me. :beer:

Jojo1971 said:
ROMTEC= switches the PATA interfaces; PC has to be turned off before switching...

my idea=switches the power connectors; PC has to be turned off before switching...

My idea = Use GRUB to select ANY drive to boot from indepently of BIOS.

My other idea = Use System Commander. You can password protect boot access, and boot any drive.

My other other idea = Use Linux and VMware in which case you have no need for any weird hardware stuff, and all the security and access permissions options you could ever dream of.

petteyg359 said:
My idea = Use GRUB to select ANY drive to boot from indepently of BIOS.

My other idea = Use System Commander. You can password protect boot access, and boot any drive.

My other other idea = Use Linux and VMware in which case you have no need for any weird hardware stuff, and all the security and access permissions options you could ever dream of.

can the slave drives be protected using your suggested programs?... remember, i don't want my kids to be able to access my slave drives when they're using their main OS drive...

by the way, a switch is not a weird hardware stuff...and so are pieces of wires.. :rolleyes:

Since you're obviously not using Linux in which all of this would be simple permissions stuff, I assume you're using Windows XP, in which case all you need to do is set up seperate user accounts for people other than yourself that don't have access to anything but their own Program Files folder and My Documents folders.

Actually, with all this talk of locking out the access to your switch and avaoiding problems with kids and such, have you ever considered doing exactly the same thing you drew up, but use a keyed switch similar to those used in security systems? It wouldn't be much more expensive, if at all, and you take a lot of the questions out of the equation by having a single keyswitch than a proverbial tempting "shiny red button". I work in electronic repair for a hospital, and i understand how totally normal and sane people can lose their skulls over a swith or button...

Technohydra said:
Actually, with all this talk of locking out the access to your switch and avaoiding problems with kids and such, have you ever considered doing exactly the same thing you drew up, but use a keyed switch similar to those used in security systems? It wouldn't be much more expensive, if at all, and you take a lot of the questions out of the equation by having a single keyswitch than a proverbial tempting "shiny red button". I work in electronic repair for a hospital, and i understand how totally normal and sane people can lose their skulls over a swith or button...

good idea..i got to look for something similar but smaller than a car's ignition switch.. even a single pole will work as long as i use multi-pole relays...

A security system key switch is about .500 inches in diameter, and they should be easy to find. Do a search on ebay for security key switch, I'm sure you'll find a truckload of them, hehe.

Back