• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Fixed!] Problems w/ my SNES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
While in vacation in Kentucky, I found a copy of Earthbound. I immediately snatched it up and waited until I would be home to play it. I'm home now, and I can finally play it again!

However, it seems my SNES is a bit messed up. It will only display in black and white. I have no idea why. I think I had this problem before a long, long time ago but I don't remember how I fixed it.

I've tried both the RF unit (on channel 3 and channel 4) and the AV cables (which work perfectly with my Gamecube), I've also tried different games to rule out that it may be the game. I've come to the conculsion that it's the system.

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks!

I had that problem too!!! Although my solution( Smashing it out if rage ) will not help you. Try taking it apart and looking around, ive fixed stuff that way before.

I patched the SNES through my VCR, and got the same deal.

I KNOW I've fixed this problem before, I just don't remember how!

Try wiggling the AV cable a bit while the console is on. If you see it switch around to color/B&W, you can be sure that you need to check the port's connections.

Oni said:
While in vacation in Kentucky, I found a copy of Earthbound. I immediately snatched it up and waited until I would be home to play it. I'm home now, and I can finally play it again!

However, it seems my SNES is a bit messed up. It will only display in black and white. I have no idea why. I think I had this problem before a long, long time ago but I don't remember how I fixed it.

I've tried both the RF unit (on channel 3 and channel 4) and the AV cables (which work perfectly with my Gamecube), I've also tried different games to rule out that it may be the game. I've come to the conculsion that it's the system.

Has anybody else had this problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks!

Try blowing on the socket of game cartridge-> console. That helped my friend that didnt have any sound (or just had static)

That was actually the very first thing I tried. I've always done that since I first got my NES when my games got screwy.

I may take it to my dad's place tomorrow so I can hit it w/ the compressor if it still doesn't work at my friend's house. Push comes to shove, I may just have to buy a new unit. They're like what, $5 now?

ShadowPho said:
Try blowing on the socket of game cartridge-> console. That helped my friend that didnt have any sound (or just had static)
Ahh I used to blow out NES cartridges (didn't everyone?) and bang on the unit until my system stopped working properly for good. Luckily I recently inherited one that hadn't been used since 1992 and thus works perfectly with every game played on it thus far. I also got a nifty set of infrared NES controllers (I had no idea these existed until then) with the base unit. They suck down batteries though so I haven't really used them much.

E: They're Acclaim's "The Double Player System" controllers.

Last edited:
Oni said:
That was actually the very first thing I tried. I've always done that since I first got my NES when my games got screwy.

I may take it to my dad's place tomorrow so I can hit it w/ the compressor if it still doesn't work at my friend's house. Push comes to shove, I may just have to buy a new unit. They're like what, $5 now?

The contacts on the game/system are probably oxidized. I clean em with alcohol/Q-Tip, then let it dry and it works. The thing is that when a game is dirty, it also oxidizes the contacts on the system.

dirty cartridge ports don't explain black and white video. I thought Oni had already ruled his TV out....that would be suspect #1, then the video cable (which he said works fine with the cube) and finally the internal wires and connector of the AV port.

is it overclocked? ;). Take a sturdy qtip (not oen that will shred from doing this), dip it in high concentration alcohol, run it over the contacts of the game, and if you can, the port inside the snes.

Ditto on the Q-tip and alcohol- that's how I fixed my old NES when it stopped reading cartridges. I had to take it apart to reach the interior connector to swab it, blasted it with a can of air, and everything was happy again :D

Chaos_Being said:
Ditto on the Q-tip and alcohol- that's how I fixed my old NES when it stopped reading cartridges. I had to take it apart to reach the interior connector to swab it, blasted it with a can of air, and everything was happy again :D

I'ma try that way

/me runs off to get some alcohol.

Oni said:
I'ma try that way

/me runs off to get some alcohol.

Yeah i was insane when i found a copy of Super Adventure Island 2. Got it, ran about 75% through the first level and it froze. Kept freezing around there too, cleaned it, works 100% now.

I still can't believe that I found a copy of the damned game. I still haven't been able to play it 'cause I'm waiting to play it in colour :)

I don't know if this helps but when I had a n64 which I had originaly purchased in Brazil it would run in black and white on American TVs.

boris_37 said:
Yeah i was insane when i found a copy of Super Adventure Island 2. Got it, ran about 75% through the first level and it froze. Kept freezing around there too, cleaned it, works 100% now.

Great game!

Avg said:
I don't know if this helps but when I had a n64 which I had originaly purchased in Brazil it would run in black and white on American TVs.

That was probably due to different display standards between countries. Brazil uses 60 Hz PAL, where the US uses NTSC.

My SNES is designed for North American television sets, so that's not the issue.

Back