• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3700+ or?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJ

I have a 3700+ now @2860 my system is mostly gaming bf2 and 2142 I was thinking about moving to a dual core yes or no?? looking at the 170 opty........Would this be a good move or just stick to the one I have now or any other suggestions?......

dual core doesn't do much for gaming since no games are really optimized for it. If you multi-task and have a lot of programs running at once (and money is not a problem) go ahead and pick up an opty.

i would have to say, if you can affoed it, get the Opty. my hold you back (a little) in gaming....for now. but i'm sure you'll see a difference in general use.

Yeah, the 3700+ at those clocks is definatly pretty nice, since you really aren't bottlenecked by the video. You're fine withouth an upgrade if you're just playing BF2[142]. Since they are the same engine, just tweaked more.

But if you got the money and want dual core, then the 170 is sa-weeet1

RJ said:
ok thanks guys money no problem but I dont want it to effect the gaming

With a decent water cooling setup (which it appears you have) you should be able to hit 2700-2800 easy with a 170. In your case I say get the 170. Even if the clock is a little lower you will get more out of it because the background apps/services will run on the other core. You "should" see a performance increase. YMMV.

If money isn't an issue look at a switch to C2D and/or a new video card. If you want an increase in performance either of those will provide more benefit than going dual core AMD IMO.

I hate when people say a dual core will not help gaming at all. All new games are/will be optimized for dual core. You also forget, what about all those windows processes that eat up cycles? Programs running in the background? With a dual core and a game that does not take advantage of dual core, all these processes/applications will run on one core, while you have the whole other core devoted 100% to the game. Ever have a virus scan kick in during a game? With a dual core, youll never even notice it.

I went from a 4000+ to a 4800+X2 and ill tell you, i noticed a BIG difference. Everything seemed much snappier and more responsive to me. I had email, internet, aim, skype, bit torrent, media player, all open and i coudlnt tell the difference. On my 4000+, i got real bogged down.

I say, if you have the money, go for it. You wont regret it, espicialy since thats the weakpoint in your system

Even though you won't see a huge difference in game...maybe you maybe you will not...its still nice to have.

Yea those who say a dual core won't help or may even hurt gaming are flat out wrong. I went from a 3500+ single core @ 2.4 GHz to an Opty 165 and saw a 15FPS gain in most games and it was 600 MHz slower... now just imagine the increse one might see when that 165 is @ 2.7 GHz... My FPS in COD2 which I spend a lot of time playing has increased 25 to 30 in DX9 mode. Granted not all games will see the same increase but it isn't going to hurt plus you get a lot of extra cache which is always good... With the board you have I would get the 165 as you won't have any prob getting a high FSB. 300x9 = 2.7 ghz and this isn't too shabby.

I wouldn't listen to some of these people, you'll definitely see a performance enhancement in games. Get the Opteron if you feel like you can afford it.

I never said he wouldn't see a gain. I was saying that the 3700+ is fine for the games he is running with those video cards...

SLi adds load to the CPU also so a dual core will help there yet again... looks as if we are making a pretty good case for dual core...

Immortal_Hero said:
Yea those who say a dual core won't help or may even hurt gaming are flat out wrong. I went from a 3500+ single core @ 2.4 GHz to an Opty 165 and saw a 15FPS gain in most games and it was 600 MHz slower... now just imagine the increse one might see when that 165 is @ 2.7 GHz... My FPS in COD2 which I spend a lot of time playing has increased 25 to 30 in DX9 mode. Granted not all games will see the same increase but it isn't going to hurt plus you get a lot of extra cache which is always good... With the board you have I would get the 165 as you won't have any prob getting a high FSB. 300x9 = 2.7 ghz and this isn't too shabby.

Lol never listen to someone who says a dual core will hurt you (unless ur going from a FX-52 to a 3800X2 (I think that's right, don't quote me though :p )). The thing I noticed my Dual core come into play was when I was frapsing in game. My old pentium 4 (478) @ 3.4ghz and an x700pro would make fraps with the sound out of sync. When I got my X2 I was able to do both at the same time without seeing any impact on my gameplay (PLUS the sound was in sync :santa: ). If money is not a problem go ahead and pick up that opty, I wish I got one :p.

WOW ok I feel an ulcer coming:bang head ....anyway ok lets vote dual for now so now which one the opty 170 or one of the X2's I really would like to see 3gig however I dont wanna spend 500 to do it......and btw thanks for the replies!!!

I love my Opty 170. I was also running the 3700+(at 2640), and although I didnt gain anything as far as FPS in America's Army, you can see that it is noticably "smoother", and what hitbyaprkedcar7 said it true, you barely even know if a virus scan is going in the background....definitely worth it.

How else can you spend well under $200 and still smoke a FX-62, just by popping in a CPU? I'd say go for it.

With an Ultra D why spend the extra money for the 170? Get the 165 your board's FSB won't hold ya back that is for sure. Plus you have water so cooling won't hold you back either. I see no point in you spending the extra $$$ on the 170. Def get an Opty though, skip the X2's. Great steppings comming from newegg on the 165's right now!

I placed the order today since theres not much a price differ between 165 and the 170 I went ahead and got the 170 hopefully is has the good steppings........so no biggy only 159.00 oem so if I dont like it, I can always put it in my back up pc....

Back