• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD: Go to 'Barcelona' over 'Clovertown'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Molester

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6152645.html
Randy Allen said:
"We expect across a wide variety of workloads for Barcelona to outperform Clovertown by 40 percent," Allen said. The quad-core chip also will outperform AMD's current dual-core Opterons on "floating point" mathematical calculations by a factor of 3.6 at the same clock rate, he said.

http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3655636
Barcelona also tweaks the existing design of the x86-64 processor, but those tweaks are significant.

Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) have been expanded from 64-bits to 128-bits; the data cache bandwidth has been doubled to 2x 128 bit loads per cycle; and the L2 cache bandwidth has also doubled, to 128 bits per cycle.

Also, the memory controllers now support full 48-bit addressing, which could allow for up to 256 terabytes (define) of physical memory. Yes, 256TB of memory.

Let the speculation begin.

well, it's news on the new architecture by AMD, which will be used on desktop single cpu platforms, I think it's fine here....

Cloverton is not a desktop CPU period.. what hardware evidence is needed?
Woodcrest in general is pleaged by bandwith issues from not using DDR2.

Sorry.. I thought that was old news.. someone need an old artical dug up?

well, fb-dimms are ddr2, just fully buffered...

and Clovertown has the performance crown right now, and is based on core architecture, which is the same architecture used on Intel's desktop platform, known as Core2Duo...

Barcelona is Rev.H(aka K8L), and is the new architecture by AMD, which like i said, will be used on AMD's desktop platform, known as Stars..

i don't understand your stance i guess.....dosn't really have anything to do with server/smp vs desktop, we're talking architecture here

well he says it outperforms opteron @ FP caculations by 3.6x id like at least a little proof, its not that i dont believe him if he said core 2 duo id be sceptical. but opteron which is amd's own architechture, id still like some proof

Molester said:
well, it's news on the new architecture by AMD, which will be used on desktop single cpu platforms, I think it's fine here....
Barcelona is going into socket F first to keep AMD edge on the server market. The enthusiasts and consumer chips will fall under a different monicer like the Star names as you mentioned later!
These 4 core procs will sport 128+128K-L1 and 1M L2 per core with additional 2M of L3. Double FPUs per core, double bandwidth SSE pipes and upgrades to the instruction pipeline. Intel has about 6 months to make it moot!

you really think AMD will make a seperate line of quads for s1207 that have 4x1mb L2? I don't, but hey, would be nice for QuadFX(or OctoFX as it may be)

Last edited:
Serlant said:
well he says it outperforms opteron @ FP caculations by 3.6x id like at least a little proof, its not that i dont believe him if he said core 2 duo id be sceptical. but opteron which is amd's own architechture, id still like some proof
Double SIMD from 64 bit to 128 bit and you have 2x.
Add another two cores (that is double of DC Opteron) and you have another 2x.
Substract some inefficiencies and you get something similar to what he said.

Molester said:
well, fb-dimms are ddr2, just fully buffered...
Yes, its fully buffered DDR2 and that is why the platform suffers from bandwith issues, traditional DDR2 performs better.

It is good news that it outperforms K8 but the thread we had about the on paper arch. told us that, it looked to be competiton for kentfeild not cloverton. (yes there is a difference)

I would like to know how it performs compaired to kentfield not cloverton (yes I know thats sad but I really feel that socket 771 was goofed)

AlabamaCajun said:
Retract, Barcelona is going to am2( or + ) with Budapest and the stars

Just like how 1-way opterons are on Socket 939? Well that's not so bad then. No need to wait until god knows what back-end part of the year for Agena, since Barcelona is supposed to be coming way sooner. Er...I think. Anyways, I still shudder to think of what the price will be though.

Back