• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6420 noob question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viol8ted

Alright first and for most I'm a noob stepping into the OC world. So don't flog me for such silly questions :p I heard that e6420 auto default vcore is to high which in turns makes the chip run hotter than it needs to be. I'm curious as to what is the default vcore for the cpu? What does intel say the chip needs to run at?

Default for most new C2D's is 1.35v. You should manually be able to set the vcore to that if it is different for some odd reason.

Coretemp will give you the VID of the chip.. thats the actuall defalt Vcore for for your CPU.

I think the box just says max vcore. The default vcore varies depending on the individual processor. Most Core 2 Duo have a range of vcore between 1.225V-1.325V.

yep like green said, check what coretemp says the VID is. that should be the stock vcore. if you really wanted to, i'm sure you could run stock clocks at less than what it indicates.

but who cares what the stock vcore is? cmon Vio, you know you wanna pump 1.6v into it and see what she does! ;)

p.s. lemme know when you are ready to start clocking that sucka. :)

yeah who cares about stock...when you're overclocking, it's going to be running faster/hotter than stock anyway :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
p.s. lemme know when you are ready to start clocking that sucka. :)

Soon I just got the icing on the cake. (case) All parts are here and ready for install. ;)

Back