• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

want to build a fresh box..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AndrewM3

Registered
my rig has been down for months already, and need to order one. it seems like the e6420/ab9 ultra gt board make really nice numbers. ill be using the box mainly for business, but will be my personal computer at home. i dont game much, but would like to build a nice dx10 ready box and have it last awhile.

ive done some research but unsure of the boards stability, and reliability of this box. i figure e6420/ab9 ultra/2gb ddr800/2x raid sata drives/antec 900/HSF/ocz 700w psu/vista/8800gts/gtx

my budgets around $1500. feel free to put together setups and compare.

That Antec 900 is a beautiful case, but it is VERY cramped inside. Almost impossible to do any kind of neat and tidy cable management, which you always want to do when having a window case. I would go with something else. I love my Ultra Aluminus. Others here swear by The CM Stacker, which is a beautiful case as well. Antec makes the P180 which is a much better choice than the 900. Lian Li are great too, but very pricy.

If you want it to last a while, as you say, than look into getting a 2 x 2gb RAM kit for 4gb total. Vista is a memory hog ans even though with the 32bit version you will only be able to use 3+gb of it I think you will be beter off in the long run. With RAM prices dropping like lead in a balloon you should be able to fit this in your budget.

Zalman 9700 is a nice looking and quiet HSF, but not quite as efective as Tuniq. Tuniq is a tough fit inside the Antec 900 on some mobos. It did not fit at all in the 900 I had using the DFI Lan Party ICFX3200. I am very happy with my Zalman 9700.

PSU's start to grow in length starting at around 650watts, making it harder still to fit it into that Antec 900 and keep the cables neat and tidy. I am not sure you will need any more than the 600watts, especilly if you do not plan to run SLI or crossfire. Google for jonny guru and look at his reviews of PSU's. I am again very happy with my HX620.

GL with your build.

The Abit AB9 is a very stable mobo, I have built 2 systems for friends using the plain version this board. However, it can be a little FSB limited. What are your overclocking goals? If you will be happy with 400-425 FSB, then you'll be ok. Just for reference, 400 FSB on an E6420 is 3.2 gig, which is a respectable O/C. But, I never heard of an AB9 Ultra. Maybe you meant the AB9 QuadGT? That is a better version.

that and if you dont mind abit will in around june have the P35 based mobo's. with 3 flavors to choose from, IP35-Pro,IP35,IP35-E.

batboy said:
Looks good... except the PSU.

Agreed.

Little hard to make out but the UL # looks like ATNG which in my experience are mediocre at best. I'd go with a proven performer like the Corsair HX520 that inkfx suggested. ZZF has it for $105
Newegg has it for a little more as well.

You could get a 500-600 watt corsair or seasonic for a price not too far off that rosewill. While the numbers are lower, these supplies will outperform that, as they are of far superior build. Depending on your future needs, you might need something 600-up. If you are sticking with dual core and a single card the 520 or M12 550 should be plenty. Otherwise, you might consider the 620 or 650. Your choice of power supply is quite key to the whole system, so don't skimp there.

Listen to the people you asked for help. They almost ALL say to get the Corsair HX series PSU. If you are not taking their advice I see no reason to have made this thread.

GTengineer said:
8800GTX for "business"? :confused: :eh?:
:attn:

No, I got carried away... The 8800GTS 640 should more than meet his needs.:)
Don't have to worry about it fitting either.

+1 Vote for the Corsair, DO NOT BUY a Rosewill unit! For the amount of money you are spending on this stuff it will just become a paper weight when a crappy PSU takes it out.

Back