• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What CPU to CHOOSE, Pro needed here...!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

I'm planning to make a cheap upgrade on my fathers pc, and change a 2,133 celly to a nortwood PIV 2,66Ghx 533mhz Bus or maybe a 2,4ghz prescott

What would be better:

- Just OC the celly as much as I can...?

-Pick the Nortwood 2,66 becouse its better than the Prescott if lower than 3,6Ghz...

-Pick the 2,4Ghz Prescott becouse I can Yeld a better Overclock (Not planning to spend much in a expensive heatsink for that old stuff...)

And, in your Opinion, How far can I go in OC with the Northwood 2,66ghz???

either cpu should do 3ghz easily. i wouldn't push a ton more than that without proper cooling.

personally, i would go with the northwood, but either one will work. if there was a price discrepancy, i might pick the pressie.

What motherboard is this going in? I'm assuming it does not support the 800 bus processors since you are only considering 533 bus replacements. For Dad if he wants a quiet and cooler running system, I'd go with Northwood, the extra cache way out performs the Celly. I had an early 2.66 and they will indeed easily O/C to 3 gig. Probably ok with stock cooling if you use a good thermal paste and have adequate case ventilation.

what about option 3?

sell the cpu/mobo/ram on ebay or the whole computer. backup what he needs then build a G33/celey-l combo with some ddr2-667 ram.

I have a 2.66 runnig @3.12 on stock voltage. Been that since I got it in Oct. 2002.

Additional info

dudleycpa said:
I have a 2.66 runnig @3.12 on stock voltage. Been that since I got it in Oct. 2002.

Yes, it need to be 533mhz... The mobo can adjust the fsb until 800, but not shurely stable.... (Foxconn 661MX mobo)
The case has very good ventilation (already noisy he he)
I've some artic silver laying somewhere... The cooler should be stock or just a litle bit better... Not planning to invest to much on this papa's machine...

I'd like to pump the bus from 133 to arround 150-166 the best, and would be sattisfied.... If the Northwood 2,66 Oc's well.... Probably him.

Thanks, any other comment?

What about any other faster cely that could compensate the clock?

cooling

dudleycpa said:

It's a northwood? 533mhz bus? What cooling are you using?

One word of caution, check to see if that mobo has a working AGP/PCI lock. If you can't fix the PCI to 33, then you are going to be limited to about 150 FSB (give or take). That might help you decide on what processor.

@crilicM@n said:
It's a northwood? 533mhz bus? What cooling are you using?

Yes a Northwood on the 533 bus. The heatsink is a Coolermast IHC-71(?); it's been so long I forget and couldn't find it at Coolermaster's sight.

I have an Asus P4T533-C that has a maximum FSB of 156.

pci

batboy said:
One word of caution, check to see if that mobo has a working AGP/PCI lock. If you can't fix the PCI to 33, then you are going to be limited to about 150 FSB (give or take). That might help you decide on what processor.

I saw in the bios that the Ram could run at 1/1 4/5 etc.... Does that influetiates the pci bus too...? Or just the ram... I'll check that.... Anyway, it's a pappa computer and i'll be satisfied with 150.... It would be just an optimization :)

no that is just for the ram
and if you want to oc higher than about 150mhz fsb then you need to have a pci/agp bus lock or else DATA CORRUPTIONS!!!

and dont go for the prescott as they run EXTREMELY hot (im still running one)

@crilicM@n said:
I saw in the bios that the Ram could run at 1/1 4/5 etc.... Does that influetiates the pci bus too...? Or just the ram... I'll check that.... Anyway, it's a pappa computer and i'll be satisfied with 150.... It would be just an optimization :)

IIRC If I O/C through the bios there was an option for 150/30. Oddly, there wasn't an option for 150/33.

Overclocked through the dip switches on the motherboard there isn't an option for the PCI frequency. I believe it uses the FSB divided by 3?

I'm currently testing the mobo with the celeron at fsb 150mhz stable in a 20 min burn test.... I probably stay arround this with the pIV...

My papa's celly is a Prescott 2,133ghz, it means that, if the prescott celly cache is as slow as the prescott pIV, it's a reaaaally bad cpu.... I think that the 2,66Ghz 512k/533mhz Nortwood I found here will be a great upgrade...

I'm just worried about, if the pIV can handle a litle bit, some 3 weeks with a intel cooler of the celly,at stock speeds... The case is very well ventilated and it would receive artic silver... Just as I wait for a new cooler to arrive... And, considering I'm in winter here.... Can I risk it for a while? Or at least to boot and test the cpu...?

Yeah, the stock Celly heatsink will be ok to run for the time being. Not sure how much overclocking it will handle, but it'll be ok at default speed.

Ok, thanks Batboy.... Upgrade defined...:

-512mb to 1,5gb of ram...
-Videocard onboard agp to x1650Pro 256mb gddr3
-Celly Prescott 2,133 to Northwood 2,66 512k 533mhz with future plans for 150 FSB...

Long Live the pappa's computer :)

hmmm. i kinda like the other option that was mentioned.

Celeron-L
cheap but decent mobo w/ onboard. (your dad prolly doesn't play any games, screw the video card.)
1gb of some decent ddr 667 ram.

That's pretty cheap i tihnk...

White_Pawn said:
hmmm. i kinda like the other option that was mentioned.

Celeron-L
cheap but decent mobo w/ onboard. (your dad prolly doesn't play any games, screw the video card.)
1gb of some decent ddr 667 ram.

That's pretty cheap i tihnk...

I could stick to my celeron, but is a prescott celeron... My old tualeron is better than that.... And, to buy an used p4 and a decent celeron... it's almost the same...

The videocard will be necessary becouse I gave him a 19wide monitor and his onboard videocard doesn't support the resolution....

But, tha would shurelly be a cheappo...!

@crilicM@n said:
I could stick to my celeron, but is a prescott celeron... My old tualeron is better than that.... And, to buy an used p4 and a decent celeron... it's almost the same...

The videocard will be necessary becouse I gave him a 19wide monitor and his onboard videocard doesn't support the resolution....

But, tha would shurelly be a cheappo...!

how about this cheap setup?

cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116040
mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138039
ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134487
video
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150241

TOTAL
$251.46

Now that is one cheap upgrade, if you need cheaper go for a 94x based motherboard. you can find those for about $50 as well but not with ocing features. now you could go with the 94x and pad mod the 420 to oc it. since the base fsb is 200/800 with the pad mod you could take it to 266/1066 with out needing to increase the volts. as well if you looked at that 1333fsb pad mod you could try that but would need a board the supports the 1333fsb.

the 8400gs is only in there cause its better then any onboard and if needed for vista has dx10 support.

Back