• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Support for X3220 for Asus P35 chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dwight Fry

Quote from Asus:

Code:
Currently, none of our P35 chipset boards have support for the 
Xeon X3220 CPU, including the P5K Premium, and Asus does not publish 
any information with regards to a timetable for when, or even if, a particular 
CPU will be supported on our boards. If and when support is added, you 
will see it on our CPU support page here:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Does another manufacturer support x3220 with a P35 chipset and if not, what is the solution?

they probably think its a 771

its the same thing as a Q6600 just higher bin standards, if your board can handle a G0 Q6600 it can handle a G0 3220

desktop motherboards never claim official support for server processors, but if it's the same socket, it's almost a sure thing that a xeon with work with a standard desktop board.

shirker said:
desktop motherboards never claim official support for server processors, but if it's the same socket, it's almost a sure thing that a xeon with work with a standard desktop board.

Sure, it'll work, but how successful can you be in overclocking this CPU vs.
Q6600 (which is supported in P35). What possible problems may emerge i.e. memory timings. Methinks that I will sway back to the Q6600. That seems to be a safer route in spite of the supposed, but as yet undocumented, advantages of the x3220.

Ya, people are getting excellent OC's with the Q6600 G0, not really worth the risk for an x3220 for an extra 200 Mhz or something :-/. Even that is a maybe, not to mention where the hell do you acquire one of these?

My $0.02.

Dwight Fry said:
Q6600 (which is supported in P35). What possible problems may emerge i.e. memory timings. Methinks that I will sway back to the Q6600. That seems to be a safer route in spite of the supposed, but as yet undocumented, advantages of the x3220.

I have an x3210 (same family of CPU) and it will OC very well though the temps are high due to it being a B3 stepping. Xeon/server chips ROCK for OCing as long as you get a good batch.

sofarfrome said:
I have an x3210 (same family of CPU) and it will OC very well though the temps are high due to it being a B3 stepping. Xeon/server chips ROCK for OCing as long as you get a good batch.

Well, I'm not saying they won't perform as well as the G0 Q6600, I'm just saying the wait for a G0 x3220 and the *possible* incompatibilities aren't worth it. The x32xx chips are still great chips. I just don't think they will OC much better, I think they will perform pretty much the same when it is all said and done.

Maverick0984 said:
Well, I'm not saying they won't perform as well as the G0 Q6600, I'm just saying the wait for a G0 x3220 and the *possible* incompatibilities aren't worth it. The x32xx chips are still great chips. I just don't think they will OC much better, I think they will perform pretty much the same when it is all said and done.

There are NO incompatabilities, period. The P35 chipset will look at the xeon socket 775 processor no differently than if it is the standard desktop CPU.

sofarfrome said:
There are NO incompatabilities, period. The P35 chipset will look at the xeon socket 775 processor no differently than if it is the standard desktop CPU.

That is great in theory, but they don't support them for a reason. It will probably work, but it just isn't worth the risk. Either way, this isn't my point at all.

A Q6600 G0 > X3220 B3, hands down. X3220 G0's AFAIK aren't being found just yet. If they are, then extremely limited quantities. If you go for an X3220 G0 and get burned with a B3, you took a huge step down from various places that guarentee Q6600 G0's.

AND, IMHO, the Q6600 G0 and X3220 G0 (after testing) will functionally OC the exact same amount. The "better binning" while true, I do not see as being significant. That's why I think it is absolutely silly to try and wait for one. Unless you are hoping it comes down to being cheaper than the Q6600 G0, if that $20 means that much to you.

Well I decided to get the e6750 for now until I can find a guaranteed G0 x3210. I think the G0 x32x0's have better OCing potential then the G0 Q6600's, but as said, it has yet to be proven. I can see the G0 x3210 (or x3220) getting up to around the same OC at the same temp as a G0 Q6600, but w/ the Xeons you can then up the Vcore on the Xeon and try to go higher whereas on the Q6600 you will be stuck b/c of the thermal limit.

I can understand the lack of support issue, though. If you have a MoBo problem, and end up calling Asus they may just tell you you have an incompatible CPU, and won't give an RMA or help until you get a "supported" CPU.

I know you'll be able to get an x3210 for ~$250 shipped, and that in and of it self is a bargain for any quad.

I'm waiting on the x3210, but I was never in the market for the Q6600 anyway. I was all about the e6750 until I found out I could get a G0 quad for about the same price. I went ahead and got the e6750 yesterday b/c the paypal discount brought the price down to $191, and that's what I wanted to pay before the official prices were released. After release the prices sky-rocketed, and I was waiting for them to stabilize, and then the x3210 came into the picture. So I went on the hunt, but with my luck it'll be another month before I get one, so I went ahead w/ the e6750 to tide me over.

I'm still predicting the G0 x3210 will be the best-bang-for-buck Quad, and will generally OC better than the G0 Q6600. It may not be by much, but I'm in no hurry now that I've got a great dually on the way.

Dwight Fry said:
Assuming that a G0 X3220 will work normally as a G0 Q6600 would, then any differences in overclocking would lie solely on the cpu itself. If both a q6600 and x3220 work in your motherboard, then there aren't any possible motherboard related problems to get in the way, like worsened memory timings. the safer route is indeed getting a G0 Q6600 if you must buy now, but in a month or two the safer route should definitely be a G0 X3220, simply because of the fact that they are the same processors, and because the xeons will have a higher thermal specification and tend to have lower VIDs

Back