• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Updating BIOS on 400 series motherboard for a Ryzen 3000 without a Zen(+) CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
So you waited for months to see if the new Ryzen Zen 2 was going to match all the hype...and it does. So you rushed out and grabbed one on the 7th along with a new x470 or b450 motherboard only to find out you need an older gen CPU to update the BIOS. What do you do? Here are the steps AMD would like you to do. NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUY AN OLDER CPU.

In order to flash the updated BIOS you need to perform these tasks first.

1. If you DO have a Zen or Zen+ processor simply use this to update to the latest BIOS. This is the easiest and least stressful route.

2. Check if your motherboard features USB BIOS Flashback. A few boards will allow the BIOS to be updated via a USB drive without a CPU installed. There aren't many boards that offer this but it is the second best option, when available.

3. If you purchased from a brick and mortar store see if they can update it for you. Many offer this for a nominal fee or even free in some cases. EDIT: My local Micro Center just confirmed Bios updates are $30 and are either same day or within 24 hours if they are backed up.

4. Contact your board manufacturer (ODM) and submit for an RMA to get a replacement board with the latest BIOS pre-installed. To me this seems like a hassle and could take longer than I'd like to wait but it is a necessary step before moving on. NOTE: keep a copy of all forms of communication with your ODM as AMD will request it later if you fail to get an RMA.

5. If these steps all fail and leave you sobbing in the corner. Contact AMD for their Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit. This kit is free of charge and includes an AMD Athlon 200GE Processor, including thermal solution, for short-term use. This must be returned within 10 days. Naturally, you will need to provide proof of purchase for your 3000 series CPU, 400 series Motherboard, as well as a few photos of your rig, and transcripts from your ODM. It's a bit of a burden, I know, but hey, look at the bright side, you saved a bunch of money by not buying x570, right?

All joking aside, this will get you up and running with your new Ryzen 3000 series processor in a 400 series board without having to buy a Gen 1 or 2 CPU.

Good luck Overclockers!

Here is a link to AMD's "AM4 Boot Kit" if you would like to read further.

Last edited:
Here is a list of USB BIOS Flashback capable motherboards I heisted from Reddit created by user RookieEngineer. This is not my list and I take no credit for it. If anyone notices any mistakes please let me know and I will make corrections. Note: corrections are in red.
Posted by u/RookieEngineer
1 month ago
Platinum
Silver
List of (B350, B450, X370, and X470) motherboards with USB BIOS Flashback
Discussion
I made a list of (B350, B450, X370, and X470) motherboards with USB BIOS Flashback

This feature allows your to update the BIOS without a processor, memory, or video card.

USB BIOS Flashback comes in handy if you are, for example, going to use 3rd gen Ryzen and the motherboard doesn't have the updated BIOS to support the processor.

These information was obtain from the motherboard manufacturers' websites and may be incomplete or inaccurate.

Leave comment below if want to report corrections.

ASRock (BIOS Flashback)

None!

ASUS (USB BIOS Flashback)

ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

Gigabyte (Q-Flash Plus)

None!

MSI (Flash BIOS Button) [
]

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

MSI B450 Tomahawk

MSI B450-A Pro

MSI B450M Bazooka Plus

MSI B450M Gaming Plus

MSI B450M Mortar

MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK

MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

Last edited:
"Free of charge" is actually a good price. I imagine you would have to pay shipping, however.

Another option would be to pick up a cheap used 1st generation low end Ryzen from ebay. You could then turn around and sell it when you don't need it anymore and recoup most or all of what you paid for it.

That is an option.

EDIT: Current cheapest option is $23 for an R3 2200G with 3 days left. The MC flash seems my best route still.

Last edited:
That is an option.

EDIT: Current cheapest option is $23 for an R3 2200G with 3 days left. The MC flash seems my best route still.

please a link for where it can be found for that price. I need to get an x470 ready for a ryzen 3600 and this would be the best price for me. Please let me know before the 2 days are left!

It was on Ebay. Just do a search for AMD Ryzen R3 2200G and sort it by price.

Here is a list of USB BIOS Flashback capable motherboards I heisted from Reddit created by user RookieEngineer. This is not my list and I take no credit for it. If anyone notices any mistakes please let me know and I will make corrections.

The Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 (Wi-Fi) has the QFlash+ button on the back IO shield.

Some (if not all but I didn't check that so can't confirm) B350/X370 mobos had no APU support on earlier BIOS releases. I had to use 1700X to make 2400G run on one of the boards, I don't remember which one. It's safer to buy something from 1st gen if it's only for BIOS flash.

ok gotcha , lowest i see is 40 bucks, i thought it was some sort of micro center sale of something. Might be a bit of topic but must i flash my x470 before the 3600 ever gets into it? What about the very first time its powered on? Could i flash it then?

The Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 (Wi-Fi) has the QFlash+ button on the back IO shield.

I'm not seeing anything about Q flash+ on that motherboard. Maybe I'm missing it, can you please verify?

TechReport review said:
For as high-end as this board is, though, I find it odd that Gigabyte omitted its Q-Flash Plus feature.

sauce

ok gotcha , lowest i see is 40 bucks, i thought it was some sort of micro center sale of something. Might be a bit of topic but must i flash my x470 before the 3600 ever gets into it? What about the very first time its powered on? Could i flash it then?

The Micro Center by my house has the 200GE on sale for $39 ATM. I'm thinking I may do this instead of having them flash the BIOS for me($30 fee). I figure for an additional $10 I'll have a back-up CPU JIC.

Yes the BIOS needs to be flashed before the 3000 series CPU is installed. Most boards require you to POST into the BIOS before flashing. In order to get into BIOS you need a supported CPU (1st Gen for 3xx boards or 1st or 2nd Gen for 4xx series). There are a few boards (see the list above) that have specific on-board components that allow for a BIOS flash without a CPU or RAM.

What motherboard do you have?

i think i am SOL. MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON (non AC vesion) only button on the back is a reset cmos button. Suppose i will have to find a cpu to borrow, darn it~

Sorry, that was Fake News on my part. :rofl: Got home just to realize it was a Clear CMOS button all along! Should have known better.

I have added buttons like that to my base requirements list. They have saved me from having to buy a new board or send it in to be fixed on several occasions. :)

It's a nice feature, but how does it prevent you from having to buy a new board or sending it in for repairs?

It's a nice feature, but how does it prevent you from having to buy a new board or sending it in for repairs?

Not sure how Gb's solution works, but with ASUS flashback you can place a USB key with the correct BIOS in a designated slot and flash the BIOS even if the motherboard will not boot.

OK, must be a dual bios or something along those lines. Good to know.

Back