• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading, & Intel Duo 2 Core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zalan

Registered
Please, understand I jumped from a 1.9ghz Dell 2350 Dimisions Desktop to a 2.4ghz Dell 410 xps with Intel Duo 2 Core. So I wasn`t here fore the Intel D Processor(which I understand are a joke).

I understand that Hyperthreading makes 2 processors work as one. Is hyperthreading so worthless that it wouldn`t increase the power or effectiveness of Duo 2 Core?

If it doese is help is there anyway to add it to Intel Duo 2 Core?

Layman, hyperthreading = single core cpu "pretending" to be dual cores, simple as that. ;)

Edit :

Nope, Core generation doesn't need that "fake" thing anymore, so Intel dump it ! :D

Last edited:
Two more questions then please :)

Is there a Reverse Hyperthreading software for Intel Duo 2 Core like AMD has? or a Multi-core Optimaztion program for Duo 2 Core?

Do you mean having two processors doing one threaded tasks? I don't think that exists...it's software-related: multi-threaded software use multi-processors.

Is there a Reverse Hyperthreading software for Intel Duo 2 Core like AMD has? or a Multi-core Optimaztion program for Duo 2 Core?

AMD does NOT have Reverse-HT, and it isn't coming for a LONG time, IF it is even possible.

A few multi-threaded programs exist, and many more are on the horizon, but theresnothing that makes both cores work as one all the time, at least not yet.

Nobody (not even AMD) has anything like that right now, but who knows whether that will still be true in a year or two

Reverse Hyper-Threading would be nice but I don't think it will happen...I think the industry will switch over to multi-threaded programs before reverse hyper-threading would be implemented. Thus making reverse hyper-threading rather useless.

i'm not following you

in what reason would reverse hyper threading (taking a multi-core chip act as 1 CPU) be beneficial when you can code for multiple threads?
I don't know how it jumped to that subject but...

Reverse HT is the act of making a single threaded app run on two cores, effectively doubling the speed at which it would run. This is different than a multi-threaded app as the application would not have to be written for multiple cores.

Although, like a previous poster said, it isn't even on the horizon as of now and it may not even be possible.

I guess your "reverse hyperthreading" question is now answered by others.

Now, if I'm not mis-understood at your question on the "multi-core optimization program", if you're not a programmer especially for low level language like C then you don't need to worry bout it.

If you are, check Intel for "VTune" or "Thread Profiler", I guess it will answer your question at the right spot. ;)

Last edited:
"Reverse HT" if it could be done would have to be done at the OS and application level. I don't think you will ever see it at the hardware level b/c it would not know what to Reverse HT and what not to. It COULD be made into the OS but it won't be worth it. Simply making applications multithreaded is easier then each aplications can be optimized. A catch all solution for multi threading does not exist and I don't think it will in the near future.

Back