• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't even install windows?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hexum

Registered
i've just reformatted my comp. After the fromat, i booted with a win 98 startup disk (that i had to d/l off the net). The files were copied... and now i have no way of installing windows. The book says after selecting "Start comp with cd-rom support" at the prompt to type "setup" but that doesn't work nor is there a file named setup on the startup disk/hard drive.

Yes the win98se disk is inserted and my first TWO boot devices are CD-ROM.
Maybe i have to install some drivers for my cheap 52X CD-ROM?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

win 98se

You'll have to have the drivers for the CD installed, or you won't be able to install. That should have happened from your startup disk. Check to see if you have access to one or both of your CD drives. If you do, switch to the drive with the Win98 CD in it, and then type Setup. If you can boot directly to the CD, you won't have to worry about the boot disk, you'll be able to run setup right from the CD.

sorry... i am a blithering idiot
i tried it again and i must have overlooked something because it worked this time. thank you very much for the reply anyways!!

It's probably too late, but I always copy the files from D:\win98 to the hard drive.....then run setup from the hard drive.

Or, you can just put in your 98 CD anytime you change ANY Windows settings. Nothing like adding NetBUI and having to track down that darn Win98 CD

Back