• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oops... Help?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrilock

Registered
I have been having a string of problems, culminating now in both success and failure.

Short Version:
I have 2 hard drives, I just installed win98 on one of them, now I cannot boot from my win2k hard drive.

Long version:
I have 2 hard drives
a) Primary drive with win2k
b) Secondary drive; Mandrake was on it, but I've since wiped the drive 100% clean.

But! Lilo must have been installed on drive a), because it keeps trying to load linux, even with drive b) wiped totally clean. I was never able to find lilo and delete it. I figured that I would take care of this problem later.

After many problems, I finally succeeded in loading win98 on drive b). However, with this done, I went back and tried to boot from my master drive, a), and it locks up when trying to boot. Crud!!!

Luckily (kinda) I CAN access drive a) from dos, but I don't have anywhere to backup the data too, or anything. I barely know how to use dos, even. This is pretty freaky. HELP!

Don´t you forget setting your ExLinux Drive to slave when booting to Win2K?( not only jumper but the cable color connector if you use UDMA66/100) ;)

If not disconnect that old drive(Win98), so that you have one Win2K. Go to you 2nd HDD manufacturer´s website and download LOW level format. do it from the boot disk with only one 2nd drive attached, partition it with fdisk and softformat with format.com to FAT 32/16.(IT SHOULD ME CLEEEN ON FIRST BOOT)
Than connect it to system as 2nd , set to slave, connect 1st Win2k drive.
Boot, so that this Microstop Win2K finds it.
Than, there 2 ways.
1. Install win 98 FROM Win2k and say that should be on 2nd drive (this can not work). Than follow 2a.
2. Install win from CD on the lonely 2nd drive as you have done before. Set the config as Win2k(master),Win98(slave)
2a.Go to the safe mode( press F8 or so) during bootup.
There must be a boot manager in Win2k (I have it in XP). Somewhere in `Control Panel->System`. Add there the second line (first is saying something like " WIN2000 /fastdetect") with the location of your win98 drive(and folder).
Add the line and reboot. I think it will solve the problem.:burn:

Back