• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got a free laptop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i use to have a old p2 lappy. that thing was a bring but i would rather have it than a new on. yeah it was slower and only had usb 1.0 but i could drop that thing down the stares and it was fine and dident have a scrach. i even tossed it across my room and the thing just took it and laughed because i couldent hurt it.

congrats on the lappy, any plans for it?

did they even haveheatsinks on the dx2's ? maybe thats what wascausing them to freeze... the fact there was no heatsink haha

haha ya thats old... my uncle brough up 2 old laptops (both the same) and both wernt working... one had a cracked screen but the rest was fine, and the other had a good screen but the mobo and everthing was bad... so i made one good one.

its a sony ultra portable PCG-SRX87 10inch screen 256mb ram, 20gb hd Pentium 3M 850mhz cpu... is perfect for my night class... i can chill online chat browse the net and take notes for the 3 hrs im @ my college at night. haha sorry for the side track.

I was absolutely in love with my IBM PII laptop. That thing was built like a tank, and even ran pretty great for how old it was. Too bad the ide cable ripped on it the last time I was working on it.

My 486 lasted me until the mid 90's. Was it the DX2 that had the random freeze issues?

I think it was the 486DX 50 that had the freeze issue, not the DX2 50, as the DX2 50 was just a internally clock doubled cpu.

Back then, whatever speed the CPU ran at, was also the clockspeed of the memory, ISA, EISA, and VL-Bus slots. So a true 50MHz system was really pushing it, at that time. I remember them being in ads for only a couple of months, then gone and replaced with the DX2's.

haha ya thats old... my uncle brough up 2 old laptops (both the same) and both wernt working... one had a cracked screen but the rest was fine, and the other had a good screen but the mobo and everthing was bad... so i made one good one.

its a sony ultra portable PCG-SRX87 10inch screen 256mb ram, 20gb hd Pentium 3M 850mhz cpu... is perfect for my night class... i can chill online chat browse the net and take notes for the 3 hrs im @ my college at night. haha sorry for the side track.

64 megs of ram here. :santa:

I think it was the 486DX 50 that had the freeze issue, not the DX2 50, as the DX2 50 was just a internally clock doubled cpu.

Back then, whatever speed the CPU ran at, was also the clockspeed of the memory, ISA, EISA, and VL-Bus slots. So a true 50MHz system was really pushing it, at that time. I remember them being in ads for only a couple of months, then gone and replaced with the DX2's.

I have a DX 50 & a DX2 66. My first overclock was an accident setting jumpers when switching from the 50 to the 66. lol

I still have both of them & the fan from their old HSF is cooling the north bridge on my AW9D-Max. lol

Attachments

• 486DX.JPG
    486DX.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 218
I have my 2 DX4's and my 1 DX2 with fan, hs etc. If I wanted to I could put the whole thing back together and use it.

lmao, I just threw out my vintage CPU collection in a recent 'junk purge'. The crown jewel was my 286 CPU. My friends mom still had a 286 system, so I traded her a P1 system I had kicking around just so I could get the CPU :D

Back