• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P3 Tualatin overclockers. Anybody still here ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would say those CPU's were the last of the Golden Age Of Overclocking.
Nice to hear you still have them up and running.
Kind of wish i still had mine.

Remember the fun of modding Slotkets to get them to work on slot 1 boards :D

Hello,

I have just finished modding two MSI MS-6905 Master rev 2.2 slotkets to make two 1133MHz PIII-S Tualatin processors working with an Asus P2B-DS board. It was a challenge, but I was successful, so the PC is working fine! The processors are running underclocked at 950MHz and 1,35V, so they don't need large heatsinks.

Greetings: Dani

I should fire up my P2B-D and burn off the dust one day. I only have two PIII-800E processors in it, but they will easily run 8x 124FSB = 990mhz.

I'm actually trying to setup an old Asus P3V4X board at the moment using a Tualatin socket 370 CPU in an Upgradeware slot 1 adapter. It boots, but the CPU speed settings need adjustment. Any ideas on where they should be? I thikn the Tualy is a 1.0 GHz unit, but I've had it up to 1.4 back in the day, no problems. Just not sure what settings to modify in the BIOS!

I have nothing useful to add, but for nostalgia's sake will chime in on my uncapped, direct-die water cooled Tualatin. I think I used a Little River Cascade on it.

Ha, that's interesting. What speeds did you get it up to?

I managed to get mine working by setting the FSB to 112/36.xx or something. CPU is running at 1460 MHz reliably. I believe my processor is actually a Tualeron because it has only 256K of L2. Regardless, my goal was to reinstate this vintage hardware to enable a nightly/weekly backup of my media server. I installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 LTS successfully with a 2TB drive and 640MB RAM. USB boot doesn't seem to work, had to grab the DVD drive from another machine to make it work. Using an Addonics SATA/IDE adapter successfully, with dd reporting 64 MB/s read/write rates.

Nice thing about these older 130 nanometer CPUs is they're generally very fault and heat tolerant, as well as being relatively low power consumers (33W or less). Now I do have a P3-800E and a P3-500 which I believe have lower TDP, but wasn't sure whether it was worth taking a hit in CPU speed. It's a bit of a dog with even XFCE running in the most minimal mode possible.

Hopeful I can get it working reliably with WOL and startup/shutdown script invocation. Had a chance to play with IPMI on a newer server mobo and really prefer that to WOL, but beggers can't be choosers!

Don't recall. Digging through some old threads it looks like I used a slotket converter and modified pins to get it to work in older BX/Via Apollo Pro mobos. This was 11 yrs ago. I may have run that chip in an 810 board too.

Last edited:
i have two boards that support tualatin processors all the way up to 1.40ghz.

i also have some spare tualatin processors around. so i got myself another motherboard that is the Super Micro P3TDDE with a geforce 7800 and 2.50gb of ECC memory. it also has a 233gb raid config.

i ahve another board that i used for server hosting which was the Tyan S2518.

sadly, my SMP3TDDE dosent even overclock the processors when i set teh clock speed. but i do intend on trying to get the other tyan boards i see on ebay...their 200 dollars though.

btw, asus p3 boards suck. everyone of them died on me except my Intel D815EEA2 which i still have xp running on to this day.

Back